Friday, October 31, 2014

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

(My stash of Halloween toys)
It's Halloween.

My plan is simple -- stay away from children after dark.

For a long time I put out lit jack-o-lanterns, skeletons, and left enough lights on to power a building.  I'd buy candy and sometimes even put on creepy music.

No one came.  No one ever came.  My house is behind another house.  Even the kids who live in the front house have never come to my door.

Last year I went out, instead.  My friend and I ran into trick-or-treaters at the mall, some children and some awkward adults who seemed out of place amongst the tiny revelers.

This year I will hide again, but not until after spending a day enjoying Halloween with my students.  We'll watch a creepy Twilight Zone episode and do Halloween-themed stuff.  I'll play with my Halloween toys one last time before packing them up.  Maybe I'll even score some candy on sale while we're out.

Happy Halloween, folks.  Be safe.