Wednesday, October 22, 2014

ADIOS, AUTUMN



Oh, well.  It was fun while it lasted.

Overnight the rain is supposed to pick up, and the winds will increase until they’re up to about 20 mph by the afternoon.  This may not sound like a big deal, but this is New England, and we’re just past peak foliage, which means we are desperately trying to hang on to autumn.  Heavy rains and strong winds might rob the trees of the remaining color.  Everything will be bleak and naked and gray.

There will be nothing left to do but wait for the snow to arrive.  Truth be told and as much as I complain, I don’t mind the snow, so long as I don’t have to drive in it. 

But, I’m not ready.  I’m not ready to give up the changing of the leaves, and I’m not ready to give up temperate weather, and I’m not ready to “fall back” and lose even more daylight.

I’m not ready, I tell you!  You can’t make me!!!!  WAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

I know, I know; the calendar says it’s still autumn.  Naked trees, frost, and pitch-dark afternoons hint otherwise. 

Damnit.

Oh well.

It truly has been fun, if only it lasted a little while longer.  Only seven more months until shorts weather returns, but who’s counting?  Other than me, I mean.