Thursday, October 9, 2014

YOU'RE GOING TO FALL ... OR ... HOW I BROKE MY OWN ASS



JANITOR:  (making a sad face) Hey.  Whatcha doing up there on that window sill?

ME:  Closing the windows.

JANITOR:  Be careful.  You’re going to fall!

ME:  (shaking head and smiling) Nah.  I’m careful.  (Puts the side of one foot on the sill and guides giant glass pane’s descent with other foot.)  I do this all the time.  It’s the only way to shut the windows.  (Points to multiple desks and chairs nearby.)  Look.  LOOK!  I have this whole safety system set up.  I’m not going to fall.

JANITOR:  You’re going to fall.

ME:  I’m NOT going to FALL.

JANITOR:  If you fall –

ME:  I’m not going to fall.  But, if I do fall, you can laugh.  (Foot presses down onto sill, and clip-locks that are on the window snap into place.)

This same ritual repeats itself over and over again.  Today I stay for an additional two hours at school.  One of my former students has come by, and he insists that he can help me with the window-closing ritual.  I decline his chivalrous offer and step up on my elaborately mismatched ladder:  A student desk, the small and useless room heater, the wooden bookshelf, and the sill.

As soon as my foot secures the latches and I hear them pop into place, I blindly place my left foot on the desk.  I blindly … I say, I place my foot …

Oh.  Shit.

In my hurry to wrap up the day’s activities and get home, I have failed to set up my little safety area to its usual standard.  The desk is about a foot away from where I expect it and my left foot touches nothing but thin air.

I’m going down.

I madly flail my right foot toward the heater in attempt to soften the blow.  Unfortunately I have recently (like an hour before) placed two large metal hole punchers on the heater.  I step on one of the hole punchers, slip even more, and come to the lightning-fast realization that I am going to fall hard.

And I do.  I land squarely on my tailbone.

My former student rushes over, as I have scared the absolute shit right out of him.  He has just witnessed his teacher take a not so graceful five foot freefall without a net.  He offers me his hand, genuinely interested in my well-being.

I not only hurt my ass, but now I feel like one, as well.

After my student leaves, and he truly believes that I am all right, I limp down to the office.  The vice principal is there, and I have to explain to him that I fell and what I was doing (closing my windows ala Spiderman) and who witnessed the debacle.

VICE PRINCIPAL:  (eyebrows raised)  Did you hurt yourself?

ME:  (sheepishly)  Yes.  (long pause)  In addition to hurting my pride … I think I broke my ass.

He hands me the accident paperwork, and I slink out of the office, having a great deal of difficulty walking back up the multiple ramps to my classroom.  I still have not fully recovered from Achilles Tendonitis in both legs, and this new development is not helping.  I now waddle like I have a dump in my pants. 

It dawns on me that the janitor who is always yelling at me for doing stuff by myself (moving entire rooms full of junk when I am reassigned to another wing, carrying boxes, lifting furniture, etc.), the guy who berated me for building these ladders to the windows in the first place, is going to find out what I have done.  I can hear it now –

JANITOR:  So … you fell.  I told you that you were going to fall.

ME:  Slow down so I can waddle over there and kick you, if only I could lift my leg higher than three inches.

Unbelievable.  In school one month and already I’ve committed the ultimate in stupidity.  I broke my own damn ass.

Oh well.  As one kind and sympathetic friend pointed out, at least I didn’t hurtle through the glass.  That would’ve really left a mark.  Reminds me of an old joke:

If I had a million dollars, I’d by a new butt because my old one is cracked.

Now it’s cracked in two places.  Guess I’ll be standing for a while.  And waddling.  And living in a classroom with windows that I cannot and will not open without taking my life into my hands.

I guess I should’ve listened:  Be careful.  You’re going to fall.