Monday, October 6, 2014

SUNBURNT EYEBALLS



I forget to use sunscreen for the first two hours of the day today at a lacrosse jamboree.

It is not entirely my fault.  To be honest, it is overcast and very cold.  I am in layers all morning: Jeans, sneakers, socks, t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece, and jacket.  I top this all off with gloves.  I’m reasonably secure in the belief that it will snow today before the sun actually comes out.

I am incorrect.

Around 11:00 the sun starts beating down on us, and we all start peeling off our over-layers in attempts to cool down.  This is when I suddenly remember the sunscreen in the car, leave in the middle of the first quarter, and rush out to the lot (I had stolen a primo space very early this morning).  I lather sunscreen on my face and return to the game.  It doesn’t matter.  By halftime it is obvious that I have already burned my face just sitting through the chilly haze.

Damnit.

It’s so bad that even my eyeballs are bloodshot.

 Great. 

I guess my nose will be peeling again.  Aloe vera and cool compresses can only go so far.  Thank goodness for beige face powder --  At least I’ll be able to tone it down before work.  But not my eyeballs, which look like maraschino cherries floating around in a tomato-hued pile of flesh, all of which has the slight hint of charred epidermis. 

The good news is that I’m probably so overcooked that Hannibal Lector will no longer consider me raw meat as I’m too well-done for chianti.  The bad news is that I have to go to work like this tomorrow, glowing slightly neon with horror-show eyeballs.

The best news is that my sunburn won’t phase the kids at all.  They’re totally oblivious to these major and obvious things, but throw in an imperceptible hair trim, and no one lets me forget it.

More lacrosse next Sunday.  Hopefully my  skin will be healed (or peeled) by then.