Friday, October 10, 2014

LEAF ME ALONE



We have yet to hit peak color this autumn, at least here in central New England.  Some of the trees have already popped and plopped – suddenly colorful then suddenly naked.  Many of the trees haven’t turned at all yet.  If we can hold off the crazy weather and avoid high winds and drenching rains for two more weeks, we will have had one of the longest, most colorful fall palettes in a while.

For the last couple of years, I have taken the back road to the college my youngest attends.  The road runs parallel to the highway, and what this road lacks in speed, it gains in uncongested ease.  The extra ten or fifteen minutes that I am in the car are far superior to the crapshoot of possibly being stuck in bumper-to-bumper, stopped-dead traffic with no hope of escape.  The two highlights of this time of year and this route:  the tree in front of the superintendent of school’s office in Derry, and Lake Massabesic in Manchester.

I know from experience that the tree in Derry is a quick changer – colorful one day, naked the next.  As I pass the superintendent’s office, I suddenly take a sharp right and enter through the “exit only.”  The tree is partially green and partially orange, like a colorful lollipop I used to get at the bank when I was a kid.  I know what will happen if I decide to wait until the whole tree has changed.  I have seen this tree before.  I grab the camera from the back seat and snap a couple of photos because I know that soon, maybe even tomorrow, the tree will shed all of its leaves.

I stop at the lake, expecting the same colorful New Hampshire array that I have seen all the way north from Massachusetts.  Instead, the lake is largely green still.  I’m a little disappointed that there isn’t more color.  I
take some photos of the lake, a couple of sailboats that are on the water, and seagulls floating near the shore.

It will be weeks before I get a chance to see the lake again, and I hope it doesn’t change too quickly without me.  The tree in Derry, though, has already lost all of its color, lost all of its leaves.  Still we have yet to reach peak conditions.  I hope autumn takes its time, but I’ll keep batteries in the camera and my cell phone charged, just in case.

I’m not going to miss autumn this time.