Tuesday, October 7, 2014

SCIENTIFIC DANCING FOOL



Apparently I am as distractible as my students. 

It’s not my fault; I blame it on the windows.  It has been months since I had windows at work, and, before that, I was inside the construction zone watching the new gym being built.  But now … now I have windows.  Real glass windows that open.  Well, they sort of open and they sort of close (as long as I ride on them ala Spiderman with my feet firmly on the bottom sashes). 

Sometimes I wander over to the windows during class and gaze outside.  From my room I can see one of the sixth grade wings of classrooms, the leach field with the sewer cover, the back parking lot, and a little area of green grass.  Today when I look outside, I see younger science students wandering around with clipboards doing some kind of field research.

This is not the strange part, though.  The strange part comes from the boy in the neon green shirt. 

While I am wrapping up the class right before lunch, I happen to be near the windows again.  I look outside and see yet another science class scouring for soil samples.  I am just about to tear my gaze away when a boy in a neon green shirt starts dancing.

That’s right: Dancing.

His arms circle in front of himself in one direction while his hips swivel around in the other direction.  He punctuates these mad gyrations with some head bopping as if he hears music to which no one else is privy.  He dances like this for about twenty seconds before I lose it.  I start laughing so hard that kids in my class jump out of their seats and rush to the windows.

I track down the science teacher after lunch and relate the story.  She knows, she assures me, and she told him, you know – The Dancer --  to cut it out.  Truly it is distracting being able to see outside again, to watch the geese take off, watch one of the janitors mow the grass, and watch the football team walk down the hill past our wing in the building when they’re on their way to practice after school. 

But green shirt dude?  He is forgiven… and kudos to him for his free-form rendition of whatever song was playing through his head at the time.  And I should be forgiven, too, for clearly this distraction is not my fault; the fact that every single one of my students has jockeyed for position at the windows is not my fault.

That science student is the one, the only, the original Sixth Grade Dancing Fool, and it is a performance worthy of observation ... and a giggle or two.