Wednesday, October 1, 2014

BIG BANG THIS



I got into a fight with an idiot the other day.

I said, “I won’t watch Big Bang Theory anymore because those actors are a bunch of greedy jerks.”

His response:  “They deserve that money.  No one can play those characters as well.”

I countered, “At a million per episode, anyone could play those characters.  Computerized images would be better than Hollywood blowhards who hold out for that kind of cash.  It’s disgusting.”

As he continued to berate my stupidity for not knowing that apparently only a handful of people can act (fallacy) and that a cool mil per week is not an insane amount of overpayment (yes, it actually is), I got up and walked away from the lunch table where we were sitting.  He continued to yell, louder and louder, unaware that he had lost the battle simply because he had an invalid argument and not because his voice wasn’t quite loud enough.  (I could still hear him out in the crowded hall past the closed door.)

This same idiot today insulted all of us and called us stupid for watching the royal wedding on television.  Then he insulted all of England by saying they publish too many rags like the National Inquirer and it’s because people in England believe this is the real news.

So I said, “So, we can’t watch the royal wedding of two real people, but it’s okay to watch actors make a million per episode for a made-up television show?”

I happen to know many Brits (and descended from quite a few), and they don’t believe that aliens live in Dolly Parton’s cleavage, or that Bruce Jenner and Kim Kardashian are secretly the same person.  They even have some great actors across the pond who could probably kick Jim Parson’s lazy, million-dollar ass.

I have to consider the source, though.  I mean, the guy with whom I was arguing?  Yeah.  This is the same guy who wanted to know the plural for nuclei.  Um … that is the plural.  But what do I know?  I have an English degree and he has a science degree.

One of us, like the cast of Big Bang Theory, is obviously overpaid.