Tuesday, September 30, 2014

STINKY ROOM



All this time … I spent all this time thinking I was right.  How could I be so wrong?

If you read this blog with any regularity (as in your reading habits and not your colon), then you know I’ve spent the last few months of work without windows.  Until three weeks ago.

I am so damn excited to have windows again that I open them every day, regardless of the temperature.  Part of this is because it’s so great to have fresh air at work again, and part of this is menopausal hot flashes that could take down a despot government.  I am so freaking happy to have windows that I go out and buy expandable screens to keep the bees and flies and errant geese and rabid squirrels out of my classroom.

But today … well, after today, my habits will change.

For the last few days I have been coming into my room after lunch and noticing a terrible stench.  This morning I complain to my colleagues that I wish someone would tell these twelve-year-olds that it’s time to start showering and using deodorant, daily, if necessary.  Yes, tell them daily and have them use deodorant daily.  I think, “They must talk a lot because their breath stinks!  This room reeks!”

Today, though, I got my foot planted squarely into my mouth.  Today I realized that the horrible stench is not coming from my students.  It is coming from the leach field outside, and the aroma is wafting in through my wide-open windows.

Windows.  The same windows I have been waiting months and months to open.  Well, not exactly the same because I’m in a different room, but windows, nonetheless.

(Not the one ... but close)
This isn’t karma.  This isn’t the universe pissing on me.  This, folks, this is the irony that is my life.  I finally get windows and now I can’t open them because it smells like a sewer outside of my room.

Not only am I completely and utterly disappointed with my new-found dilemma, I am horribly disappointed in myself for blaming the smelly atmosphere on a bunch of innocent, if slightly ripe by their own means, children.

Well, at least when I start putting air fresheners all over the room, the kiddos won’t be too offended. 

Here’s the truly and deeply horrifying part, though.  If I can smell the stink when I walk into my room from the hallway --- What exactly are they thinking about ME when THEY come in and get a whiff?

Oh, shit.  I’ll bet they’re wondering when I’m going to shower and use deodorant.

Now THAT’S the real bitch of karma, ironic or not.