Friday, September 12, 2014

I'M TIRED .... SO TIRED



It's Friday.  Right?

Oh, please tell me it's Friday.  What a week. 

I'm exhausted.  My legs hurt, my voice is shot, and my head is ready to explode.  I haven't had a moment to get anything done, work has come home with me every single night, and I've already put in about eleven extra hours just at work, not counting the time I've spent outside of the place. 

I've chased down bees, lost children at picture day when some idiot photographer released them into the hallways, and stopped myself from taking down at least one tech person.  I made copies on yellow paper because that's all that was left in the copy room, and, believe me, I was thrilled just to find an open, working machine, so yellow paper it is. 

I've moved desks multiple times, still haven't finished unpacking, and can't find some of my files from the summer move to another building.  I bought expandable screens for four crappy old windows that are so difficult to open that I have to stand on desks to get enough leverage.  Shutting them is equally fun as I have to stand on the edge of each sill and ride the windows closed, not a trick I can pull in front of students, especially when wearing a dress or skirt.

The kids seem to have adjusted, and nobody left crying (not even me).  Several even said "Thank you" and "have a nice day" to me this week, which means I haven't scared the buhjeezus out of them yet, an especially decent outcome since Back-To-School Night with their parents is next week. 

I've actually gotten to bed before midnight several times this week, and that sort of includes the one night I fell asleep on the couch immediately after I sat down for just a second, the one night I fell asleep while doing paperwork and my face hit the kitchen table, and the afternoon I dozed off in front of the computer and almost fell off the chair.

If I live through today, I'll have survived the week, the first week of school, the back-to-school marathon that stretches five days, a gazillion miles, and all happens at a cool 175 miles per hour. 

But man-oh-man, am I ever exhausted. 

So please tell me the truth.

It is Friday. 

Right? 

Please, if there's any mercy at all in this world, please let today really be Friday.  If it is Friday, just remember one thing: Don't call me after 7:30 p.m.  I'll already be asleep.