Sunday, September 7, 2014

I'M MELTING




I’m melting.

If I were the Wicked Witch of the West, I’d be a puddle right now.  I’m sort of a puddle, anyway.  Even the air conditioning isn’t totally killing the humidity and soaring temperatures.  By the way, West misspelled is Wets, which is kind of ironic for the witch.

I have several friends who’ve already taken their air conditioners out of the windows.  Crazy friends, I guess you could call them.  I mean, this is New England.  The weather does whatever the frig it feels like around here.

But, truly, I’m melting.  The fan I have blowing on me right now is just rearranging the sweat droplets.  Outside it’s even worse.  At school last week, it was damn near deadly.

I went shopping this morning with a pal, and I wanted to get fans on sale, fans to take to school with me.  None were on sale.  However, a teeny desk fan was stuck in with the summer sale items, listed at 75% off.  I brought it to the register, and, when the cashier rang it in, I said, “If it’s not on sale for 75% off, then I don’t want it,” and I explained how the entire display was sitting right in the midst of the summer sale stuff.

“I just want to get rid of these,” she smiled, then she rang in -75%, and just like that I got a desk fan for $3 and change.  If it’s still too hot inside the building on Monday, which it may be because once a building like that gets hot, it takes days to cool it down, at least I can have my little desk fan blow the sweat around on my face.

It’s almost fall, and pretty soon I can bitch about how cold I am, but right now I just want to say, “I’m melting.”