Monday, September 29, 2014

DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME


(High tide/high ground)

Sunday my friend and I plan a trip to the beach.  Yes, this is New England, and yes, it is autumn, but today the temperature soars into the 80’s with full sunshine.  Did I mention that this is New England?  Did I mention that it’s fall?

Both of us wake up feeling crappy.  She has a bad headache and I have a pain that feels like my left kidney is about to jump out of my back.  I am also struck with vertigo.  I’ve had this before, and it freaks me out every time it returns – I walk sideways and totter into things.  At 6:15 Sunday morning, I almost catapult through a glass window in my den, all the while hopping mostly on one foot and yelling, “Oh … OH … OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO” as my hand gets caught up in the slats of the blinds when I lose my balance yet again. 

My friend and I rally, though; she and Tylenol meet up with each other around 4:00 a.m., and I pop naproxen shortly before 6:30 a.m.  By 9:30, we’re good to go.  This is the latest we’ve ever left for the beach on a hot day, plus it’s a weekend.  We have no idea what we’ll find when we get there. 

Unfortunately, our favorite parking space, #1913, has been swallowed into the construction zone.  We are stuck with a space that is between two access staircases to the sand.  Instead of walking 45 seconds to the beach, we have to walk a whole 120 seconds.  It’s almost too much, but, again, we rally and make the two-minute trek to the water’s edge.

Despite the recent chilly nights, the water is still amazingly comfortable.  Sure, the website claims the temperature in the ocean is about 61 degrees, but we go swimming anyway.  Okay, we take short dips because it’s too darn hot to just sit in the sun baking.  Lots of people are in the water: surfers, swimmers, casual waders.  It’s a perfectly wonderful summery beach day.

Except, of course, for the fact that it’s autumn in New England. 

Driving to the beach we notice how many leaves are changing already, how some trees are already losing their battle with keeping covered, and how some harvest-themed decorations are already out.  Yet for the four hours that we are at the beach, there are a couple of times that I forget, completely and totally fail to remember that I have been teaching for three weeks, and that I’ve already broken out the leather driving gloves multiple times on chilly mornings.

We collect about 100 pounds of rocks (this is not an exaggeration – five bags full and two trips to the car later) for my friend’s home garden, then head down the road to our other friends’ condo.  They host us for a short visit then encourage us to walk to another nearby beach, but we’re beached out for the day.  I can’t even believe that’s possible, but it has been such a perfect day, such a hot and wonderful and salty and sandy day, that we decline and start heading home.

We are shocked to find ourselves locked in a highway traffic jam.  We never leave the beach this late – after 4:00 on a Sunday afternoon.  We learn from the radio that the traffic is backed up even further behind us, past the tolls, past Portsmouth, into Kittery and beyond.  We bounce on to a shorter highway and we sail smoothly back to town, miles away from the sound of the surf hitting the rocks, miles away from the smell of the salt in the air, miles away from the warm sand under our toes.

By the time I post this, I’ll be just getting up to start another school day, but I did grab a few rocks of my own.  I’ll bring at least one to add to the collection on my desk.  When a student notices that I have a new “paperweight,” I’ll maybe tell the beach story from Sunday about how we kept having to move back until we were off the sand and trapped on the higher ground of rocks when high tide rolled in, or how some kid tried to jump off the ten-foot wall into the rocks below (like this might be a good idea), or how the mom and her son both got wiped out by the same wave and her paddleboard and his surf board both flew over the surf and whacked the same random guy almost simultaneously, or how upset we were about the Italian greyhound whose owners thought it was a good idea to make it sit in the sun for hours with no water and no shade, or how we damn-near strangled three girls who played on the nearby jetty and screamed like cats in heat every time a wave came within five feet of where they were sitting (then they left their trash behind and we really did want to strangle them).

Bye, bye, beach.  Bye, bye, summer.  Bye, bye, salty hair and clothes and skin.

Don’t forget about us; we certainly won’t forget about you.