Tuesday, September 9, 2014

BEST VEGGIES



My friend’s neighbors grow the best vegetables in their garden.

This garden is deer-proof and nearly groundhog-proof.  We have nicknamed the groundhog Dick Nixon because he’s a sneaky bastard.  Basically, though, the garden is disaster-proof.

I have seen these neighbors a few times in the last couple of weeks, and the harvest from their incredible garden is like the gift that keeps on giving.  I have been recently gifted with tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions, and now my kitchen smells freshly magnificent.

I need a sandwich for work, and I decide to slice up one of the beefier tomatoes to put between the turkey and cheese.  By the time lunchtime rolls around, I am ravenously hungry.  When I unwrap the sandwich, the amazing tomatoes poke out from the sides, eyeing me from the bread and layers of meat, and when I take the first bite, I swear I’ve died and gone to heaven.  The tomatoes absolutely make the sandwich.

We only have a short time left before snow starts flying around here, and I’m already waxing nostalgic over the summer veggies that still grace my counter.  I hope I can get in a few more gifts from the harvest to add to my dwindling collection as I eat everything I’ve been given and the cooler air pushes in.

Only ten more months until ripe vegetable season rolls around again.  If only Dick Nixon would stay away from the garden, we might eke out a few more weeks of summertime after all.