Wednesday, September 3, 2014

BACK TO SCHOOL ... ALMOST



I am still not officially back to work.  Usually I start the Tuesday after Labor Day, and the students arrive on Wednesday.  This year, though, probably because of the progress associated with the ongoing construction of the new high school and the remodeling of the middle school, the year is starting late. 

I have already spent days in my classroom, a temporary reassignment to the old high school, arranging and rearranging books and shelves and desks, prepping for the school year that I am anxious to start. 

Is the extra vacation welcome?  Under normal conditions, I would say absolutely not; it’ll catch up to me on the other end.  But today, as I leave my classroom mayhem mid-morning, I am thankful for a few more days.  The temperature outside is creeping up to the nineties with humidity in ungodly percentages. 

If I were teaching today, we’d all be melting into the floor.

Here’s to another September, another school year, another chance to arrange and rearrange desks, another sea of new faces and names, another few days of summer before I have to be en pointe every day.