Thursday, September 11, 2014

EVERYONE KNOWS THIS SHIP CAN'T SINK!



I’ll admit it: I don’t like Windows 8.  As a matter of fact, I hate it.  No really, I fucking despise it.

Some “genius” decided that we all needed Windows 8 on our desktops and laptops at work.  This would be a brilliant decision if only we were not running on dinosaur computers.  I have children younger than my work desktop.

It now takes days (I’m not even remotely kidding you … daaaaaaaays) to get into programs.  And they’re not called programs anymore; they’re called apps. 

Dudes.  These are not apps.  These are programs, and it’s a word you should learn: Program; stick with it.

The best part about the installation of Windows 8 on our ancient technology?  The red arrow.  Oh, yeah, some of you know exactly what I’m talking about – the huge red arrow the size of your palm that appears, blocking a good eighth of the monitor screen. 

The way to get rid of it? 

Touch it. 

That’s right.  Touch it.

Now, this would be absolutely primo if, and I do mean if, we had touch screen monitors.

But we don’t.

It took multiple hilariously worded but extremely pointed and hateful emails for the tech staff to even address the situation.  I have to ask, though, whose fucking idiotic idea was it to install touchscreen technology onto non-touchscreen technology, essentially locking users out of the operating system?

We have since solved the issue of the red arrow.  Someone instructed us on how to swipe it away.  Meanwhile, one of the few intelligent members of the tech crew actually agreed it should probably be shut off.  To this revelation, I can only say, “Doh!”

Look, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  As a matter of fact, don’t even freaking touch it.  Just because technology is new, or maybe someone in charge has an idea that might seem new, doesn’t mean you should jump on board.

Consider the Titanic. 

Before this is through, one of us will need a life jacket, either me or the computer.  I’ll tell you this much, though:  I do know how to swim, and I do know how to get rid of the red arrow.  Place your bets, folks.