Monday, September 15, 2014

STEW SEASON



Finally the heat has turned.  Fall is in the air, leaves are starting to turn (ever so slightly), and the nights have converted to what most of us refer to as “good sleeping weather.”  Perfect weather to cook a stew.

This morning I haul out the crock pot, intending to follow a recipe to the letter until I realize that I’m missing some of the required key ingredients, like mushrooms and bacon.  I don’t usually put mushrooms nor bacon in my stew.  I mean, I do once in a while, but I didn’t buy any at the store yesterday.

Instead, I get the beef ready, toss all of it into the pot, then start piling cut vegetables on top: potatoes, carrots, green beans, onion, garlic.  I see half a bottle of shiraz wine on the counter.  In it goes.  I open the fridge and see three bottles of lager my son left behind when he went off to college two weeks ago.  I grab one, open it, and pour that in, as well.  Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, paprika, allspice, and more.  I usually add a tablespoon of sugar and some lemon juice, but in all the excitement, I forget.  Lastly, I pop in two whole bay leaves, some water to level off the liquid, set the crock pot on high, throw on the cover, and walk away.

I check the concoction periodically, but mostly I let it do what crock pots do; I leave it be while the stew cooks.  After about three hours, the house fills with a wonderful aroma.  Three more hours and I add in the jar of boiled onions and mix the whole thing together.  I thicken the sauce, let it cook for another half hour, then sit down to eat a bowl of whatever may come from my careless handiwork.

After one bite, I realize that this is the best damn stew I have ever made in my entire life, and beef stew is one of my few specialties.  I inhale one large bowlful and dive in for a second.  I have a piece of cornbread with the first bowl, and a soft roll with the second bowl.  I sneak more stew as I prepare the rest for the fridge (tomorrow night’s dinner) and the freezer.  I’m going to get three or four more meals out of this stew … unless I keep eating two huge bowls at a time, in which case I might get one and a half more meals.

Summer may be ending, but stew season is just beginning.  If I can just remember what the heck I did to make this stew so good, winter might not be so bad, regardless of what forecasters, the Farmer’s Almanac, and feverishly busy squirrels tell us.