Saturday, September 6, 2014

SITTING THROUGH A LONG MEETING

(Here is the poem I wrote while sitting through seemingly endless meetings in the new auditorium in the new high school.  P.S.  Apparently the site was built for midgets.)


On Trying to Fit Into an Auditorium Seat



(Not the building, but close)
Oh, my knees –the highs, the lows;
Oh, these seats are far too close.
My ass fits in the seat just fine.
But, oh, these creaky knees of mine.

They spent the dough and built this place.
The seats in front?  They’re in my face.
I cannot fall asleep in here
Because there’s bleeding from my ear.

All I hear is “Blahblahblah…”
From every single Grand Poopah.
At least I’m sitting with my friends,
Enduring speech that never ends.

Please, oh, please, I am so bored,
I wish I had hemlock, a sword,
Anything to wrap this up.
I need a beer poured in a cup.

And so another first day stops,
So full of hot air my ear pops.
We survived the whole first day –
Summer break: Ten months away.