Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A SEMI-POEM ABOUT BEING SEMI-PRODUCTIVE



I finally do it. 
I finally break down and order the Back-to-School pizza for dinner.
I’m lazy, I’ll admit it.
I’ve been working myself into exhaustion at school and after school.
I am in the building from 7:00 a.m. sometimes until 4:30 p.m. and beyond.
Today I spend work time chasing yellow jackets because the windows have no screens.
So I go out after school and buy expandable screens for the windows.
Four of them.
Eighteen inches tall.
Thirty bucks.
Yup.
Thirty smackeroos for four expandable screens.
Thank goodness they are on sale 50% off.
Tomorrow – no more bees, at least in my room.
Suddenly while leaving the hardware store, I hear my stomach grumble.
I ate half a sandwich at 11:00 a.m. and it’s now almost 5:00 p.m.
I call in a pizza.
I don’t like to do that because once that pizza is in front of me, I’m going to eat it.
All of it.
But I have work to do when I get home.
More school work to do.
Even cooking pasta will waste too much precious time.
I call and place the order, somewhat guiltily but while salivating.
Half pepper and onion.
Half Hawaiian.
Just a small one, thanks.
Ten minutes. 
I set my cell phone timer for nine minutes and pull out of the lot.
I drive slowly, not too slowly, but speed-limit slowly.
I actually do 35 mph in the 35 mph zone on Elm Street.
Usually I drive 41 mph.
I don’t know why.
Elm Street begs for 41 mph.
By the time I arrive, the screens are rattling around on the front seat and the timer is singing.
Once I get the pizza in my hand, I balance the toasty box on the cool screens.
My house is within spitting distance of the pizza parlor.
I can see my driveway from the front window of the restaurant.
I am home within seconds, holding the pizza in one hand and my huge bag of work stuff in the other.
I leave the screens in the car.
I take time out to wash my hands and open a freezing cold beer.
I inhale the pizza.
Then I get to work on the stuff I dragged home.
Another four hours of work.
I’m so tired I’m not sure I can even break down the pizza box for recycling.
But I did break down and order the pizza.
The Back-to-School pizza.
And it’s delicious.