Thursday, October 2, 2014

HALT THE HEAT



I won’t do it.
You can’t make me.
Not going to happen.
I refuse.
I admit that I open the grates back up today. 
I come the closest I have since April, maybe May.
The sudden change surprises me today, as if it were not predicted.
However, it was predicted. 
There shall be no feigned surprise when chilly air streams in.
It is easy at work to throw on a sweater,
     Pull it tight around me,
          Shiver a little and debate putting on a fleece, too,
               Though at the end of the day, even this is not enough.
The air is cold and raw.
Rain falls straight and steady.
I get home, and the house is also cold and raw.
Going from room to room, I open the heater grates,
     The same grates I painstakingly close in the late spring
        To keep the basement heat from crawling into the rest of the house
           Once summer sets in.
I look at the thermostat, study it closely.
Then I walk away.
That’s right.
I … walk … away.
Simply put, I am not ready.
I am not ready to flick that switch,
     To hear the furnace cough to life,
          To smell the dusty aroma of the vents clearing out
                    For the first time this season.
Damn you, autumn.
Damn you all to hell for swallowing up the last days of summer.
I will wait it out.
My toes might fall off, and
     My hands might curl into icicles, and
          My ears might break off like pieces of frozen china, and
               My nose might stay frozen for days.
I won’t do it.
You can’t make me.
You can’t make me turn on the heat.