Wednesday, October 15, 2014

NEW SHEETS



Let’s be honest, ladies.  There is nothing … nothing, not even chocolate … that is better than climbing into clean sheets when you’re freshly showered (and your legs are freshly shaved).  Okay, there is one more thing – when the freshly laundered sheets are brand spanking new.

I bought new sheets yesterday.  Not only are the sheets new, they are also in a fabric I’ve never put on my bed before: Jersey knit.  I’m usually a crisp, cotton kind of gal.  Years ago I added flannel into the mix after I discovered that no blanket ever made could warm up ice cold cotton sheets after my furnace kept shutting down for no good reason in the dead of winter.

New England autumns have finally driven me to find the fabric mid-ground between my summer cotton sheets and my winter flannel sheets.  While checking out the new department store near my house, my shopping-partner-in-crime recommends that I try the jersey knit sheets.  I’ve come by them at the store before, but I always walk away.  I figure the knit will be too stretchy, too bulky.  This time, though, I relent, take my friend’s advice.

I used to be an assistant manager at a fabric store, so for those not in the know, jersey knit is the stuff t-shirts are made of, but not the cheaply-made thick knit – Jersey knit is like worn-in, extremely comfy, old-school t-shirts.  It’s soft, it’s smooth, and it’s downright comforting.  Comfortable, yes, but comforting.  It’s kind of creepy to admit, but I am feeling the jersey knit much like one would touch-compare the various gradients of cotton sheets by thread count.  

Once I decide on a brand of jersey knit sheets, I have to pick a color.  I eliminate anything too loud that might give me migraines in addition to nightmares, and I eliminate anything too tame to fend off boredom.  I settle on orange, pin-striped jersey knit sheets.  The grey-striped ones match my bedroom better, but they don’t make me happy.  I mean it; the orange sheets make me feel kind of happy, even though they don’t match a damn thing.

The true test wasn’t last night, even though I slept great.  The true test happens this evening when I pull back the bedspread to reveal the new make-me-happy sheets.  Carefully peeling back the quilt on top, I discover anew my orange, pin-striped jersey knit sheets.

They make me smile.

So, I run to the bathroom and shower (and shave) again.  Sure, I tell myself it’s all a ruse for tomorrow morning so I can get ready faster, but the truth is much simpler: Recreate day #1 with the sheets all over again for day #2. 

Throw in some chocolate, and this just might be paradise.