Sunday, October 5, 2014

CHAOS CONTROLLED ... SORT OF



Well… I sort of got the mess cleaned up in the spare room today.  Sort of. 

I mean, I had to do laundry, empty the dishwasher, fill both cars with gas, take my son’s car for a ride to see if the battery charged, buy beer, bake for lacrosse, pay some of the bills, find the password I wrote down for a new credit card (then forgot where I put the paper), shred a bunch of documents, shred some old credit cards, order a few Christmas gifts, make tuna salad because I was starving, check on my medical paperwork to see if I actually did have all the tests done that I needed to have done this summer, drink wine, organize school paperwork,  and find all the recent car service receipts to figure out if I’ve ever replaced the brakes in my son’s car. 

So, I’m sorry if I didn’t quite get through all of the paperwork I was supposed to get through today.  My house is still a semi-disaster zone, and I’m afraid that soon a Haz-Mat team might come in.  I have enough dust in here to send even the staunchest healthy person into asthmatic shock.  I’m not sure if my floors are dirty or if I’m growing new sources of food.  I also discovered today that I have enough pocketbooks to last me for the next decade and beyond, but I didn’t realize that so I bought two more on sale recently.  (It’s okay – they were really good sales – designer bags marked down to DSW clearance, and then another 70% off on top of that.)  Oh, and my old, beat-up pocketbook?  Yeah … I’m still using it.  Duh.

The worst corner of the spare room is done.  Unfortunately I still have a tall stack of writing notebooks and papers from the last three years of grad school, and that’s going to take much longer to sort, so it will remain in a pile for now, but what was once twenty-four inches high is now only about eighteen inches high.  That counts as progress, friends.

I’m having company in a week.  Fortunately for me, they already know that I live like a semi-hoarder.  Well, I live like a person who has zero closets because this house has zero closets.  It has a couple of cubbies that, if combined, might equal one double closet in a kid’s bedroom.  Storage is nonexistent here, so everything, and I mean absolutely everything, is on display.  Everything except my skivvies, though, because I managed to stuff a small bureau into my bedroom.  Living out in the open is a disadvantage to living in an older, smaller home. 

Smaller might make you instantly think “easier to clean … less space.”  And you’d be right, and you’d be wrong because seriously, there’s no place to put stuff, so I sort of cleaned up the mess today. 

Sort of.  And for now, I’m sort of done.