Saturday, October 18, 2014

LEGACY OF CHUCK JONES



I’m going to show an old Chuck Jones cartoon to my classes on Monday.

For those too young to remember, Chuck Jones was the guy (animator/creator/director) responsible for the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons.  He created such iconic characters as Wile E. Coyote, Roadrunner, and Pepe le Pew. His movie work (including Mrs. Doubtfire) is equally impressive.  In the world of cartoons, the man was a singular genius. 

The cartoon I’m showing on Monday, though … not one of his masterpieces.

Somehow I managed to get my hands on the old “Rikki-tikki-tavi” cartoon (now available on youtube, as most shit is), and I video-copied it for use at school for when we read the short story.  Although the video cartoon is reasonably accurate to the story, it’s just tough animation to watch.  As a matter of fact, it’s so cheesy, I thought it must have been made in the 1960’s.

I would be thinking incorrectly.

1975. 

Chuck died in 2002 at the ripe old age of 89, so I cannot ask him what in the hell happened in 1975 to send him off the literary-cartoon bandwagon making a such a horrible video as this one.  There is singing (painful) and there is general mayhem.  The video itself is dark and humorless (for the most part) -- ALL qualities of a perfect “torture-my-students” video.

So Monday, if you hear groaning, mayhem, and general outbursts after 8:00 a.m., do not panic.  We’re actually doing curriculum work.  The legacy of Chuck Jones will live on, even if our ear drums have to bleed to get through.