Thursday, October 30, 2014

THE NIGHT THE KEPI BURNED



Halloween’s coming. 

There have been a lot of great Halloweens for me over the years, some that involved ketchup-as-blood, some that involved neighbors who would make us all fresh donuts while we trick-or-treated, some where the snow on the ground was higher than our knees, and even one or two that involved the police.  Okay, once even the state police … with riot gear … and dogs.

There’s one Halloween image that haunts me, though.  It was the Halloween when the Civil War statue was set on fire.

I was driving with my grandfather, he steering and me sitting unbuckled in the passenger seat.  I don’t know why we were coming through the village square since my grandparents’ house and our house connected via several back roads that didn’t involve the center.  Even calling it “a center” seems overly generous since it had one tiny store that would open whenever it felt like it, a small but artful library, and a fire station that was run by volunteers who sounded coded alarms to alert firefighters to street addresses in distress.

Maybe we drove through the center of town assuming that less children would be in the streets trick-or-treating, a smart move by my partially-blind grandfather.  No matter the reason, the timing of it all still stays with me decades later. 

There were two grassy areas in the village square: the park, surrounded by aging white fence posts and old-fashioned stone posts with metal rings for tying up horses; and the small triangle of grass in front of the old Brick School.  The park was full of tress and had a sidewalk running through it, and I can still remember riding my bicycle straight through, full-tilt, holding an open bottle of Orange Crush soda.  A few years later my friends and classmates would film a Cheerios commercial in that exact spot in the pouring rain.

The village green in front of the Brick School (that’s what we all called it – whether or not it was the official name, we never knew otherwise) had a bush or two, maybe even a few trees, but its main attraction was the Civil War statue.  The bronze statue, created in 1869, was the first soldier statue ever erected in the state of New Hampshire, and this information I just discovered (though I wish I’d known it all those years ago).  The infantryman statue stood guard over the village green, and we’d often climbed its granite base, picnicked in its shadow, and ridden our bikes in circles around it without paying the soldier too much attention except knowing that he was there.  Always there.  Always the same.  Sometimes he had snow on his kepi, but usually he quietly kept watch with an occasional bird on his shoulder.

This particular Halloween night, though, the infantryman was on fire.

I still to this day don’t know how or why they did it, but teenagers had managed to set the statue’s head aflame.  My grandfather reasoned that they probably doused him in kerosene or something.  After all, bronze doesn’t just spontaneously combust.  It was so dark that night, too.  I don’t remember anything except coming up the small hill and seeing black sky and orange flame engulfing the Civil War soldier’s head and shoulders.  The rest of him remained standing at attention, never touched by the torching.

It is the singular Halloween image that conjures goosebumps on my skin when I think of it.  Not the other Halloweens, not even the one with the state police (though that was a doozey, if I do say so), none of them stays with me the way that one moment in time has stayed with me.

I remember clutching a bag full of candy on my lap, and I think I had my plastic mask resting on my head.  I was transfixed and horrified and fascinated and terrified, all at the same time, all sentiments perfect for such a spooky holiday.

“Why?” I remember asking.

My grandfather kept his eyes on the road, never slowing, never considering stopping to watch or investigate.  He simply answered, “Because it’s Halloween.”