Saturday, November 1, 2014

SUNRISES AND DAYLIGHT SAVINGS



No more sunrises on the way to work.

Oh, sure, I’ll still get to see some unbelievable skies, especially those when snow is near and the clouds are purple and pink and teal.  But I am hopeful that after we fall back again, my life in the morning will improve.

Right now it’s so damn dark when I leave the house for work that I have to lock the front door by guessing.  Every car’s headlights are on, and I have to adapt my rearview mirror to avoid direct hits into the eyes by vehicles behind me.   By the time I arrive at work, the sky has lightened, and I watch the sunrise bust out over the sky.

No matter.  That’s all over.

I probably won’t be seeing the mist rising eerily off the pond as I creep through the semi-dark behind the police barracks and down the back road that circumvents the state forest.  I probably won’t be able to sneak into work under the cloak of pre-dawn.  I probably won’t have to worry about being seen standing on the heaters and window sills in order to open windows while my room lights blare into the morning grayness.

I’ll be going from headlights to sunlight blinding me on my way toward the long, solitary street of school traffic that backs up for an hour every morning – but usually after I’ve already arrived as long as I leave twenty minutes before I really have to because I’d rather be in my room being productive than sitting within view of the parking lot but unable to actually get there during the rush-hour blockade.

Thanks for ending, Daylight Savings Time, and good riddance to you.  Take those damn dark mornings with you.    Too bad you’ll be taking those startling and magnificent sunrises with you, too.

Thank you, though, for giving me a beauty of a view from my room on Friday morning.  Perfect ending for us both.