Monday, November 17, 2014

MOST WONDERFUL TIME FOR TELEVISION



It’s confession time.  Here it comes … my deep, dark secret.  Ready?

I like the Hallmark Christmas movies.

Not all of them, of course, but many of them.  Sure, some of them are ridiculously cheesy, like the ones where Santa Claus forgets who he is, or the ones with characters named Kringle, or the ones where animals talk.  There’s a new one with Harry Connick, Jr., one of my favorite actors/singers, that is relatively unwatchable.  It’s more of an advertisement for country singers than a real movie, and in the middle of the slapstick humor, someone dies.  Watching that movie is like eating a plate full of jalapenos while sipping eggnog – it’s just not right.

Some of those Hallmark movies are downright addictive, though. 

So far this season I’ve watched several, and one favorite is Christmas With Holly.  The three brothers are hilarious, the scenery (Pacific Northwest coast) is gorgeous, and the little girls who play Holly are sweet.  (May they never turn into Lindsey Lohan or Miley Cyrus.)  Kind of a fan of A Season for Miracles, too, because I like Patty Duke and the acting isn’t half-bad.  I think my favorite overall is The Wishing Tree, and not because it’s about an English professor.  It’s decently acted, and the students (actors) carry the story.

There are many holiday specials I often miss, sometimes because I don’t pay attention to the television schedule and some because they’re not on anymore.  A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas have been cut down so much that I barely recognize them.  Now that TV runs 50% commercials for every show, it’s impossible to ever see the original versions of these things.  It doesn’t matter because I usually miss them when they air, anyway.

Some others I have only seen briefly then never again include several versions of A Christmas Carol (which we start reading as a play in class in about two weeks).  One of these versions is the first I ever saw, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol.  There’s the 1938 version with Reginald Owen, the 1951 version with Alastair Sim, the Blackadder version from 1988 with Rowan Atkinson before he became Mr. Bean, and, a favorite, the Muppet version.  Sometimes these will pop back up on television, but it’s rare to see them, and Blackadder may well be lost to obscurity.  If you ever come across it, though, it’s early Hugh Laurie (of House fame), too.

Anyway, the holiday season is just getting underway.  I don’t have my tree up yet, which I am ashamed to admit.  It’s usually up and lit by now because if I am going to do all the work of the holidays, I’m darn well going to enjoy it for as long as possible.  There are many more movies and specials to watch, so if you have any suggestions, I’m opening the forum.