Saturday, November 22, 2014

LIGHTS OUT



This morning I have a Twilight Zone experience.

Just a few weeks ago, my class read the teleplay of The Twilight Zone episode titled “The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street.”  The premise of the teleplay is that an unexplained power outage on a quiet street causes mayhem and murder.  You see, the residents think the inexplicable outage might be caused by aliens, so they turn on each other.  (Spoiler alert: They are correct.)

With all the talk about the Buffalo snowstorm, I have been thinking a lot about the electricity going out and how that rarely, if ever, happens here in my quiet neighborhood during storms.  I’ve been trapped by blizzards, iced in, lightning-stormed to near-oblivion, and had two microbursts come right over the house and take out two trees on two separate occasions.  All this time, I’ve never lost electricity.

At 3:40 this morning, though, I am awakened by silence.

I like white noise when I sleep, so I usually run a fan in my room.  It has been unusually chilly here in the Northeast, but I run the fan, just the same.  Thursday night I am still in recovery-mode from our school open house the evening before, and I am fighting off a nasty cold.  I decide to turn on the fan, turn down the bed, and turn in early.  After hours of correcting mediocre papers, I have hit the wall with a resounding smack.

I set three alarm clocks: an electric one with music, a battery-operated back-up alarm clock, and my cell phone.  As I settle into bed, I wonder if I should charge up the phone battery, but it’s still ¾ full, so I let it be.  The three-alarm system is not new to me.  I set the radio alarm, knowing that sometimes the reception is questionable and it doesn’t always wake me up fully.  The battery-operated back-up is in case the power stops during the night, but it is set about forty-five minutes later.  Waking to alarm #2 would mean rush-rush-rush!  Alarm #3 is set for right after my first alarm goes off, forcing me to get up, walk across the room a little bit, and shut off the phone.

Then, 3:40 a.m. hits.  I know it is 3:40 when the electricity stops because the white noise also stops, and I awaken almost immediately.  I realize the house is too silent, so I open my eyes … I … open … my … It takes me about fifteen seconds to realize that my eyes are open, but I cannot see a damn thing.  I instinctively reach for the light switch.  “Idiot,” I say out loud.  I fumble for the staircase flashlight.  Unable to find it, my cell phone and I make our way down the stairs and to the kitchen.  I locate the small flashlight and use that one to trudge back up the stairs to locate the larger flashlight, which I somehow missed in my blind fumbling.

This is where I have my “Monsters” moment.  There isn’t any storm outside, no wind, no snow, no loud crash of a vehicle into a telephone pole.  It’s eerily black in both sound and light.  I think for a second that maybe someone has cut the power.  Maybe the house is going to burst into flames.  Maybe aliens have landed and are causing me to go insane.

Get a hold of yourself, Kid.

I decide that a power outage isn’t so bad … unless, of course, I forgot to pay the electric bill (unlikely).  I gaze out the front windows and see some emergency lights on at the old mill buildings across the street.  I gaze out the side windows and see some emergency lights on the buildings nearby.  I finally look out the back window and see nothing but blackness.  It certainly is dark out, and I wonder if the moon exists anywhere at all.

I find the old Yellow Pages book I keep on hand in case of emergencies, and I look up the report line for National Grid.  After speaking to a woman for a few minutes (No, don’t send anyone directly to my house.  The whole street is out.  Yes, I have a phone but please don’t call me back.  It’s the middle of the night.), I discover that a small pocket of town, namely my street and one other, are experiencing power failure, but it should be back on in an hour.  I settle into bed knowing I have a battery-operated back-up alarm, along with my still relatively-full cell phone alarm.  I should be able to sleep, right?

Wrong.

I start running through the disaster of my morning should the electricity still be out at show time, 5:05 a.m.  I won’t have heat.  I won’t have hot water.  I won’t be able to wash nor blow-dry my hair (not to mention just plain old shower).  I won’t even be able to flat-iron the sleep out of my hair-do.

These thoughts keep my brain ticking along with the non-electric clock.  Tick – I’ll have to pull my hair back – tick – and wear a headband – tick – so much for getting to bed early – tick – I wonder if the neighbors realize there’s no power – tick ----  I start feeling like Ted Striker from Airplane:  Echo... echo... echo... Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota…”

After almost an hour of this tossing and turning and turbulent thought process, the electricity whirs back to life, the fan comes back on, and all is right with the world.  I reset the alarm clock and fall into a light but brief sleep.  As soon as I get up, I turn on the heat and plug in the flat iron.  I’m not willing to attempt the shower.  My hot water heater is in the unheated basement, and keeping water hot is already a struggle on a normal day.

In the end, Rod Serling does not make an appearance in my front room to announce the alternate universe, and the only alien-like being this morning is me and what my hair looks like no matter what I do to it.  (Later, the art teacher tells me my hair has never looked better and she really likes it like this.  She doesn’t know today’s hairstyle is one of electricity-deprived desperation.)  When I arrive home hours later, the electricity is still on, and all is right with the world again… except the clocks.  I still have clocks to reset.