Sunday, November 2, 2014

NOT MISSING THE HOUR



It’s 11:30 p.m. at my house. 

Wait.  No.  I lied.

It’s 10:30 p.m. at my house.

I have already run around and turned back all of the clocks.  I never wait until the following morning, and I always stay up too late when DST ends because I’m getting that extra hour … and wasting it right off the bat.

Wait.  No.  I lied.

I’m not really wasting time because I overslept this morning.  I was ready to get up at 6:30, rolled around for a few minutes believing I couldn’t get back to sleep, then zonked out for almost three more hours. 

Technically, that means I’m still two hours in the black, right? 

It will be dark early during the Patriots game.  Of course, it’s November now; it’s dark almost constantly this month with the later sunrises and early sunsets.  November’s sunlessness does to the soul what March’s extreme winds and chill do to the body.  The whole buckling into winter in early November, the whole unbuckling again from it toward the end of March.

It may be 10:30 p.m. at my house, but I’ll use my time carefully to ease myself into the first few weeks of winter.  It may not be here officially, but the raw wind, icy rain, and plunging temperature do not believe that any more than my senses do.  Once I adjust to it, it’s just about the time the days start to get a little longer again, anyway, and by then it’s not so bad.

By then, I’ll have adjusted to the weather and already gotten excited over the holidays and the snow and the New England winter.   By then, I won’t be missing that hour so much anymore.