Wednesday, November 5, 2014

PRETENDING TO WITNESS A DIFFERENCE



This afternoon while coming home from work, I barely miss being involved in a multi-car collision on a busy and dangerous major thoroughfare.  My co-worker is in front of me by about forty-five seconds.  I stop in the parking lot, hesitating before I pull on to the school’s long driveway, so I can fish around for my glasses.  I need my glasses for reading, and I’m on my way to vote.  It’s imperative that I be able to read the ballot.

I lose sight of my co-worker’s small blue car, pass by another co-worker’s red SUV, and head further north, my mind completely on the election. Up ahead of me I see a black car across the road, as if it is trying to turn and has been blocked, so I slow down.  The car is not in the middle of a turn, though.  It has been spun around sideways.

As we all come to a stop in the middle of the four-lane road, I quickly scan what’s going on.  Someone is lying down in the dirt on the other side of the road.  She’s not badly hurt as she throws herself onto the ground then quickly stands up again.  Shock, I surmise, she’s probably scared out of her mind and dazed at what just happened.

There are several people on that side of the road there to help her.  A construction van of some type has pulled over, so I go back to the business of letting people cut in front of me to go around the scene to the right.  The dumbass driver in front of me and to the left, though, ignores my flashing lights and obvious gesture to let him or her into the traffic pattern.  The driver seems completely absorbed in looking over the scene and drives way too close to the disabled black sedan. 

As I come around the accident, I see the other half of what is going on.  A read car has been completely smeared, its entire passenger side destroyed, scraped, pushed in.  I cannot see if anyone is still inside.  Several cars have pulled over onto the sidewalk, and someone’s horn is beeping … beeping … beeping.

I make the split-second decision to continue on my way.  I don’t really know much first aid, I don’t recognize the cars involved, and I didn’t witness the accident.  If I am to stop now, I’ll be in the way.  Seriously.  When I am asked, “Why did you stop?” I doubt “Because I’m a gawker” will suffice.  The police will tell me to get my stupid ass right out of there.  So, without waiting for the middle man, I get my stupid ass right out of there.

This accident, though, is moments old, perhaps only seconds.  No emergency crews have yet arrived nor do I hear any sirens.  I take a few breaths and thank my glasses for once not being on my head, for delaying me just that much longer that neither I nor my colleague managed to be involved, or at least she wasn’t because I don’t see her car – unless it has been catapulted somewhere off the street.

I poke along behind some slow-bees all the way to the polling place in my town, about seven miles from the accident scene.  I am extra-vigilant looking for traffic patterns, doubting directionals and easing up on my lead foot.  That could have been me had I left on time.  I feel as lucky for myself as I feel horrible for those involved.  I sincerely hope that there are no major injuries … or worse. 

Yes, I vote.  I vote in this crash-and-burn political arena that I’m not sure will be any better than nor painless than the massive collision I have just passed.  I doubt the police and firemen can help out this major collision of self-absorbed professional and perpetual career politicians.  At least here in the polling place while standing in the voting booth, I can pretend to witness a difference.