Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I'M GOING TO BE SORE TOMORROW



I am going to be sore tomorrow.

I used to like going to the gym.  Then I spent hundreds of dollars on memberships I never used because I got bored.  The machines were old, the treadmills made too much noise because they were in disrepair, and the classes were too full or taught by people who didn’t really know what they were doing. 

There was the constant idiocy of people leaving the heavier weights on the barbells, which started to piss me off.  (Note to guys:  You’re not the only ones who lift.)  I’m a sucker for the Smith machine, which is a vertical-lift barbell machine with a sliding apparatus built into it.  I can do squat-lifts while balancing on my heels with my toes in the air.  I love that thing.  But it killed me to go to the gym and find the machine rigged with hundreds of pounds of weight while suspended five feet off the ground.  At least I could roll the larger weights off the machines at ground-level.  (Another note to guys and uber-strong women: Take the damn 50-pound weights off so someone like me, at 5’2” and middle-aged, can actually lift something.)

Here is the real reason I quit the gym: People weren’t wiping down the equipment after sweating all over it.  You might not think that’s a big deal, but after years in the judo world, I’ll tell you this – ringworm sucks.  Not that ringworm is prevalent in martial arts like it is in wrestling, but I know enough that filthy gear isn’t going to cut it in my world.  It doesn’t have to be pristine.  I mean, some of the guys would throw their sweat-soaked judo gis into their trunks in the winter and have to thaw them out at the next practice, never bothering to wash them in between many … any … practices.  They stank sometimes, and we all got filthy-sweaty grappling and throwing, but at least I personally knew these people, men and women. 

Those filthy-sweaty strangers at the gym?  I don’t know them.  Maybe they do have ringworm.  The least thing they could do was follow the rules and wipe down the machines.  When the patrons stopped caring and the staff stopped caring, I stopped going and stopped paying.  And stopped exercising.

I’m no newbie to sports.  As a kid, I was always outside doing some sport, from kickball to roller skating to ice skating to skiing to bike riding to racing my brothers’ Big Wheels down the hill by the Colligans’ house.  I did gymnastics at a basic level, excelling at the vault and mini-trampoline.  I played soccer for a few years and played basketball through freshman year in high school when I realized that, at 5’2”, I wasn’t growing anymore

As an adult I tried step classes and cardio classes, but I’m not coordinated enough to do those dance steps.  I tried cardio-kickboxing but didn’t like hitting the stand-up bags – I only liked hitting the Bob bag.  I really, really liked hitting the Bob bag, actually. 

My boys were involved in judo, and I finally convinced myself to try that.  I was never very good at it, but I liked it a lot – really liked throwing people and liked being thrown.  I liked carrying and dragging people heavier than I am down the mat.  One night an uncoordinated greenhorn went in for a throw during randori.  He missed.  I stayed firmly planted, and he broke my foot in three places.  I wrapped my foot in duct tape and finished practice, and continued for weeks to practice with it taped because I’m a bit of a masochist.  But I had to give that up, eventually, too.

Almost six years ago I had my right foot rebuilt, mostly due to a very old soccer injury gone bad.  Since then I’ve had that mediocre gym experience and finally took up training for 5k races.  I’m not very good at that, either.  Oh sure, I did two back-to-back 5k mud runs, which are amazing and fun, but I developed Achilles tendonitis.  The recovery has been sluggish and somewhat annoying.

Which brings me to tonight.

I am so bored with being bored with my slow healing that I start searching the Internet for some ideas.  I try Zumba for about six minutes, but let’s face it.  Zumba is like step and cardio classes, and I’m just not that coordinated.  I’ve tried Pilates, so I do a fifteen-minute Pilates workout.  It’s okay, but it’s so … stationary.  I decide to do a few stair runs, about half a dozen, until I realize that the constant up/down is probably annoying the hell out of my townhouse neighbors.  One hundred sit-ups later, I am about to lose my mind with boredom.  There has to be an easier way to get some exercise inside one’s own house.  (Note to readers: It’s raining hard, dark as midnight, and only about 35 degrees out – I’m not jogging anywhere.)

Suddenly I am struck with a moment of sheer ingenuity.  I take my workout mat, which is thick enough for me to throw a judoka on, and I rig it up along a wall using a chair, securing it into place.  I grab my sparring gloves, and I start beating the hell out of the makeshift “bag.” 

Oh. My. God.

It may not be as fun as hitting a Bob bag, but it’s not bad.  The whack-whack-whack sound is like music to my ears, and I can feel the tension in my neck and shoulders start to ease as I get into a rhythm.  I do this for about eight minutes then figure my neighbors might be worried I’m trying to punch a hole through the wall.

Tonight is a little bit about reconnecting with something other than walking and jogging, which I cannot do to my satisfaction until these tendons heal up.  In the true spirit of pre-Thanksgiving, I’ve given myself a cornucopia of activities to try.  Next thing you know, I’ll be down cleaning the dust and laundry off the small home-gym Universal set that’s rotting away in the basement.  But for now, I’ll shower and relax, maybe take a Tylenol or two.  One thing I do know absolutely and for certain:

I am going to be sore tomorrow.