Friday, November 7, 2014

DARK NOVEMBER



Dark by 4:30.

I don’t know why, but every November I somehow convince myself that it really doesn’t get black-dark before 5:00 p.m., and every November I am still surprised that sundown occurs around 4:30. 

Each afternoon this week, I have rushed out of work at the first legal moment, only to be sadly disappointed by the severe angle of the waning sunlight.  I rushed through a walk the other afternoon, barely making it home before it became too dim to see the fallen sticks poking through the leaves that covered the sidewalk.  I was inches from poking my eye out on a small branch that I didn’t see until it slapped me in the face.

November, I love Thanksgiving, and I do enjoy the consistent good-sleeping weather.  But this early darkness shit?  Not working for me.

I know it will get worse before it gets better, but I can’t stand it.  I keep looking at the clock, wondering if it’s bedtime yet since it has been dark for hours.  Nope … not bedtime.  Dinner time, though.

I can make it.  I know I can make it.  I know mid-December is the turning point.  The problem is that I don’t want to be wishing November away.  I guess I just wish it didn’t have to be so dark in the morning and so dark in the mid-afternoon, and, unfortunately, this just so happens to occur during poor, innocent, minding-its-own-business November. 

Oh, okay, November.  Must suck to have everyone complain and whine about you.  I’ll try to love you for more than just Thanksgiving.  You have Veterans’ Day, too.  And sometimes you even let it snow.  And you’re weeks shy of the holidays.  Not only that, but I put my tree up and start decorating in November. 

I guess we’ll keep you, then.

But if you could work on that sunlight thing, I’d really appreciate it.