Monday, November 3, 2014

NO SNOW HERE YET ... BOOOO



Everybody gets snow but me.  Honestly, I live in the strangest pocket.

Years ago when we got hit by The Great 80’s Ice Storm, I lost cable and phone service, but I never lost power. I had to drive a kiddo home mere miles away.  It looked like another world, all gray and colorless and totally iced over, powerless and lightless.  But everything was fine in my neighborhood.

Sometimes it’s the opposite problem.  Neighborhoods and towns around me get a few inches of snow, but I live in a wind tunnel neighborhood (which surprises me that we don’t lose power more often).  The wind tunnel effect creates areas of huge snow accumulations sometimes.  My side of the shared driveway is the worst, and the snow piles against the fence, creating inches, sometimes feet, of more snow.  (One of these storms, I’m going to kick that fence down and pretend the wind did it.)

Today, though, we get our first snow.  Well, some people do.  The most it snows here is a small spattering of mini-flakes for about a half-a-milli-second.  I see people posting pictures on social network about the snow piling up.  My friends in the city (Boston) tell me it’s snowing like crazy there.  I see posted pictures of Gillette Stadium with snow completely coating the field.

I look outside expectantly.  Nothing.  Like Yukon Cornelius searching for gold and silver, silver and gold …  Nothin’.

When the rain lets up, the wind is so strong that the patio furniture I left outside dries almost instantly.  I pile up the plastic chairs that have survived well-past their prime already, leaning them against the part of the fence that does not annoy me, then I bring in the metal table and chairs.  I finally manage to get the air conditioners out of the windows with some help from my daughter and son-in-law.  (Don’t judge me – it still gets miserably warm and humid sometimes in October.  I like to sleep in comfort.)

Still, no snow, though.

I am minding my own business when I see online posts from nearby friends, bemoaning via cell phone that they cannot watch the Patriots game because the power has gone off.  Listening to the wind, I decide I should probably crank up the heat for a few minutes and jump in the shower before I, too, lose power and run out of hot water.

Silly me. 

It won’t snow here, and I probably won’t lose power, either.  But now at least I smell all clean and my hair is all damp-wavy because I didn’t bother blow-drying it … you know … in case I lose power while drying my hair and only one side of my head looks decent. 

Remind me in a month or two or three or four or five, remind me when I’m pissing and moaning about shoveling mountains of the white crap, remind me when I’m frozen through from the icy Nor’easters that are sure to come – Remind me then of what I am about to tell you now:

It didn’t snow here today, and I’m damn sorry I missed it.