Thursday, November 13, 2014

FEELING HOT HOT HOT



Holy crap with the hot flashes already.  Honestly.  It’s getting ridiculous. 

On Tuesday I accompany a friend to Connecticut to retrieve a purse that got left behind at a deli after a family function.  Remarkably, the wallet is still intact, so it’s worth the drive down.  It may be a long ride, but we manage to have some fun on the way there and back, playing with phone apps, trying to prove we are smarter than grade schoolers while playing Brain Quest, and hitting a pub for lunch. 

The most fun, though, is when we are both having dueling hot flashes.  Thank goodness my friend’s SUV has different temperature zones because every time I have a hot flash, my friend doesn’t, then vice versa.  We are constantly turning the temperature up and down, turning the seat warmers on and off.  At one point, her side registers 71 degrees while my side at 59 degrees starts up the air conditioner.  Eventually we both settle at 68 degrees at the same time, and all is right with the world.

Wednesday I am again plagued by ill-timed hot flashes, as if there is ever a good time to have them.  Well, I suppose if I’m freezing on the Arctic tundra in my skivvies, a hot flash might be beneficial, which is ironic because when I have a hot flash, I wish to be on the Arctic tundra in my skivvies.  Wednesday is the day my boss stops by to do an impromptu observation.  All goes well until I get the report later that day:  “Everything was fine … except when the kids had their backs to you at one point while you were talking to them…”

Yes, it’s true.  I must hide behind the children while sitting in a chair directly in front of the fan.  After years of being in ice cold classrooms, I finally score the one where the heat blasts all day long, every single day of the year, even when it’s warm out.  Now that I am plagued with waves of hot flashes, the heaters are like curses, taunting me and laughing at me.  Wednesday right in the middle of my fifteen-minute observation, I get hit with a mega-hot flash, a sweat-out-of-my-pores hot flash, a face-and-chest-as-red-as-tomatoes hot flash.  I work my way to the back of the room, behind the kiddos and behind my boss, and do the best I can to teach through the dampening aggravation.  My boss is writing about how I am forcing the kids to turn backward if they want to see me, and I am dying for him to leave so I can dump the sweater I have on and turn the fan higher without a lot of histrionics.

Damn hot flashes that interfere with my daily life.  I know, I know.  I should be happy I’m young enough to still be having them.  I should be singing “I Enjoy Being a Girl” but all I can muster is some sad version of “Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot!”  I’ll gladly take a luke-warm observation report to avoid the embarrassment of having a hot flash in front of my students and, worse, my male boss.  There’s something comforting about paperwork in my forever-file that reads, “sat in back of room for a minute so students couldn’t see her…” rather than “Holy crap, she turned redder than a baboon’s butt…”

If only my classroom, like my friend’s SUV, had separate temperature controls.  Until then, I’ll continue to hide, turn on the fans I keep all year long, and do the sweater-on/sweater-off routine.  Honestly, it’s almost ridiculous.