Tuesday, November 11, 2014

SILENT, SIMPLE SENTIMENTS

I do not have anything profound to say today, nothing sassy to complain about, and no funny misadventure to recount.  It's Veterans Day.  I have a memory to share and some gratitude to extend.

Growing up, my parents, especially my father, would implore us kiddos to practice for Armistice Day.  Armistice Day is the day that is the Veterans Day's precursor.   It was (and is still) a day for silent reverie and reflection, and we children were expected to show some respect... SILENTLY, of course.

I am the daughter of a retired Army serviceman.  My father was a cryptographer in the European theater of World War II.  His brother, my uncle, served in Korea via the Army.  My grandfather was Army.  My brother-in-law is retired Air Force, and his daughter (my niece) is a Marine.  I have a couple of friends who are Vietnam War veterans. 

Apologies to those I've left out.  However, my sentiments are simple today:

Thank you for your service.