Monday, November 10, 2014

TEA TIME



My teammates at work spoil me.

When we have team meetings, one of the women with whom I work makes us all tea and hot chocolate.  One of the other women on my team has a drawer in her kitchen that is filled with all kinds of exotic teas, and she brings some of that tea in for me to add to our school tea collection.  I keep sugar and honey in my classroom, as well.  Between us, we have some great meetings – tea to calm us down when needed, caffeine to ramp us up when needed.

I decide that I should probably contribute more than the usual standard tea bags, so I dig through my stash.  I have various English and Irish teas, and I also have a bunch of other kinds.  I try to decide which ones I might want to keep here at home and which ones I might want to contribute to the team stash.

 After vacillating over my decision, I suddenly have a brainstorm.  I grab three mugs from the shelf.  I decide to make three kinds of tea:  Earl Grey, pumpkin spice chai, and Christmas tea.  I’ve tried each of these numerous times before, but I cannot remember much about them other than I enjoy them enough to keep the tea bags.  The only way to decide this conundrum is to have a tea taste-off. 

After boiling a full point of water, I set up my tasting station along the counter.  I drink my tea black with one sugar, so I set up each cup with a different tea bag and with a spoonful of sugar.  I don’t wait for the whistle of the tea pot this time.  As soon as I see the steam wafting out, I start filling the mugs.

The smell is instantaneous.  My kitchen is suddenly filled with the aromatic scent of steeping tea.  I stir each mug slightly then leave them all for two minutes to do what tea bags do.  By the time I come back to the counter, I still haven’t decided which tea to sample first.  I eeny-meeny-miney-mo the cups and get down to business.

First up is the pumpkin spice chai.  Being a pumpkin spice fan, I like the tea, but I’m not a huge chai fan, at least not in a traditional sense.  I always understood chai to be a milk-based tea, but I never put milk in my tea and consider it a bit of a sacrilege.  The tea is just fine by itself; its smooth taste is almost flat but not unpleasant.  It smells peppery with its combination of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.  Oh, and pumpkin spice.  After all, it is pumpkin spice chai.

The second mug is full of steaming Christmas tea, which might sound like peppermint and candy canes, but it’s actually spicy, with cinnamon and cloves.  It reminds me a little bit of my tooth extraction because the socket got infected, and I had a pack of clove oil stuck in it for a week.  I breathed cloves for days, even after the packet came out.  The Christmas tea smells like regular tea but tastes mild with a spicy kick.

The last one I try is one of my favorites, the Earl Grey.  Sure, it’s a classic tea with its own legend, but it’s not quite plain old regular tea.  It has the bite that a good black tea should have, a little kick in the pants both aromatically and tastefully.  It has a hint of bergamont flavoring, an orange extract made to imitate more expensive Chinese teas.  I hold the mug in my hands for long moments while sipping.

I feel like Goldilocks, trying out the three teas to see which one I will finish and which I will donate to Team Tea Time.  One tea is a little flat.  Another is sort of peppery.  But the Earl Grey is just right. 

I’ll bring the tea bags to school with me and share them.  I know my team spoils me, but maybe I can spread a little of the love with the fancy teas.  After all, if I love them all enough to try out three teas at once here at home, I surely love them enough to share the experience with them at work.