Saturday, November 29, 2014

POWER FAILURE - PART II

I have to assume that the technology and production materials exceed those of the 1960's.  Maybe that's an asinine assumption on my part, but I believe that we've made progress in the last fifty years.

I also have to assume that we aren't experiencing storms any worse than we've had in years past.  I can remember as a kid that we had ice so thick on the walkways that it took us hours with an ice chopper to break it up.  The snow storms were no better nor worse than what we face now.

So ... why is it that every time it snows, even slightly, power goes out?

No, truly.  Think about it.

We had some whopper storms when we were kids.  We had ice storms and blizzards and thunder storms and deluges of rain.  Through it all, I only remember losing power during and after lightning strikes and during one ice storm in 1986 (five days -- they forgot our street).

People keep trying to tell me this last snow was heavy.  Bullshit.  It was no heavier than other snow/rain combos we've gotten.  And, even if it were, how is it three-days' of powerlessness worth of "worse"?  It's not possible.

It's not possible, either, to still have people in New England without power, and yet we do.  I appreciate all the work the linemen and linewomen are doing, but it still doesn't explain how we've defied progress and continue to not only lose power but lose power for extended time.

Here's hoping progress and technology catch up to us soon.  Happy power, people, if you have it.