Tuesday, November 4, 2014

CORRECTING ESSAYS AND ... OH, SHINY!



I fully intend to do some correcting tonight.  Grades close Friday, and I have a pile of semi-coherent essays to mark up and put commentary on, essays that have been mocking me for a couple of days.  Okay, 25% of them are done, so 75% of them are mocking me still.

Today is the first workday after Daylight Savings Time, which I still wonder why we do, but that’s not my real issue today.  My real issue is that I feel like taking a walk after work, so I have to rush myself home in order to get my walk in before darkness descends.  Sure, sure, sure.  I should be correcting papers, but it’s a beautiful fall afternoon – not too cold, somewhat breezy, and I know the walk will do me good.

Of course, about a block into the walk, my still-swollen Achilles tendons start squawking.  I don’t know what their deal is.  It has been months, and still they’re bugging me.  I’m bored of talking about them but even more bored of living with them.  I’m walking, though.  If I don’t keep walking, I’ll have to come home and grade papers.

Once I get home, I decide I’ll eat dinner before I shower before I grade papers.  I put together an excellent meal of chicken with barbecue sauce and sweet potato on the side.  I like my sweet potatoes with a hint of salt and a pound of butter melted all over them.  I fail to see how anyone can eat sweet potatoes all ruined with marshmallows or brown sugar – or worse, both.  This thought about sweet potatoes and the travesty of further sweetening them keeps my brain occupied long enough to keep me from correcting papers.

Of course I must update myself with social media and all.  Can’t let that pass me by.  I see my friend post, and, knowing she has just returned from a day trip to the snow-covered part of Maine, I feel I certainly must call her.  I must also tell her about the strange spitting-yelling man who sat next to me at a trivia fundraiser the other night because I suspect she knows his wife.  I am correct.  I tell her that the man was lucky to escape from the trivia table with his balls still intact because had he spit on me one more time, I was going to castrate him with the plastic knife the hosts so generously and willingly allowed me to carry.  The conversation about my possible jail time prevents me from correcting papers.

Then I have to call my son about some mail that arrived while he is away at college.  Does he need me to bring it up to school?  No?  Not yet?  Okay.  Yak yak yak … I only end the call when he insists he is on his way to study.  I pretend that I am going to correct papers, but I open a bag of Sugar Babies from the trivia night (I stole the small bag and shoved it into my purse along with a miniature Three Musketeers candy bar) and decide that counting the number of Sugar Babies is far more crucial than correcting papers.

I’m still sweaty from my walk, and I am also staving off a hot flash, so I sit in front of the fan for a few minutes.  I can’t possibly correct papers with the fan on.  They’ll blow around everywhere, and I’ll just end up making a mess or something.

Oh, look.  The clock says it’s after 8:00 p.m.  That means I probably should write the blog so it will post on time in the morning.  Important stuff going on.  I mean, I’ll be totally distracted thinking about the blog if I even attempt to do any correcting.  I cannot have distractions while trying to read through the essays.  I’ll be all, “Oh, what was the topic sentence again?  I keep thinking about spitting-yelling trivia man and where I might bury the body.”

Tomorrow afternoon I need to vote.  Hmmmm, somewhere in my mess of papers is the booklet about the issues.  I really ought to read through that so I can make some educated decisions tomorrow on the ballot questions.  I don’t want to make a state-wide mistake on account of some essays that muddle up my thought process.  I’d better dig up that booklet and make myself a political genius.  The essays surely understand the importance of political activism, right?

Ugh.  Just got a whiff of myself.  I really should take that shower.  I meant to shower when I finished my walk in the almost-dark at 4:40 p.m.  I should jump in the shower and then correct some essays.  Of course, it’ll be a little late to get started then.  I need to get to sleep at a reasonable hour because I’m staying up late Tuesday for trivia, a different trivia, though.  No spitting-yelling man at this trivia, at least not that I’ve ever seen before.  I’ll be fighting with the bartenders to keep the Bruins game on the whole time.  Thank goodness baseball is done.  Imagine thinking that baseball trumps hockey.  Who thinks such a thing?  These jumbled thoughts keep my brain from thinking about essays.

Wait … am I talking about a shower or trivia or correcting papers?  This conundrum alone bothers me so much that I cannot even think about grading essays now.

I know!  I’ll think about grading essays tomorrow, for tomorrow is another day!  At Tara!  And I’ll be Scarlett O’Hara.  You know my favorite part of that movie?  When the little girl is riding the horse and …

Face it.  Those essays won’t be getting done anytime soon.  Oh well.  I have until Friday.  Bets are being taken, folks.  I’m betting I’ll be kicking myself in the ass trying to get them all done Thursday night.  But I think there’s a Bruins game on Thursday night … and … ooooooooh ….. shiny!  So much for good intentions.