Thursday, May 21, 2015

SEARCHING FOR WATERMELON


While attending friends' child’s college graduation event recently, the temperature soars to uncomfortable levels.  The ceremony drags slightly long, but not terribly; it is, after all, a graduation.  After the serious festivities are done, the fun festivities start: a reception back at the student center.

We are hot; we are thirsty; we are hungry.

Across the lawn and adorning the multiple tables are cut watermelon bowls full of fresh fruit.

Watermelon. 

The child's mom and I look at each other.  Finally, something other than the peanuts, pastry crisps, and crackers we managed to locate in the student center bookstore.  Neither one of us can wait to get some of that succulent watermelon on to our plates.

Until we approach the tables.

Although each table boasts the freshly carved melon container, there is not one shred of watermelon anywhere to be seen amongst the fruit spreads adorning the reception.  Not. One. Chunk.

What the hell, man.  Seriously.  What the hell.

We stock up our small plates with other fruit: strawberries, pineapple, grapes, and there appears to be cantaloupe and honeydew for those who imbibe, but I draw the line at both of those melons.  I want watermelon, damnit, and I want it right now.  I am the Veruca Salt of watermelon. 

Alas, the pink-red fruit is nowhere to be found.  Two days later when I finally make it to the grocery store, I throw watermelon into my carriage.  Once I am home, it doesn’t last long, and I scarf down the equivalent of three thick slices in under an hour sitting at the kitchen table pretending to do work, a.k.a. watch television. 

But … let’s be honest.  If one is going to put out freshly carved watermelon bowls, shouldn’t one’s guests assume that the cut fruit has to actually go somewhere?  All these cut-open watermelons, and yet not a single shard of watermelon exists anywhere on these school grounds.

While shopping for myself, I do not buy the watermelon simply because I am craving it , but more because I have to restore the tenuous balance between reality and logic.  If there be watermelon bowls, there must be watermelon.