Tuesday, May 5, 2015

BATTLING DARTH VADER BEE



Fucking bee.  Seriously.  I’m not even kidding.  Die.  Just die, already.

I have a nasty bee who invades my patio space every single spring.  I assume it’s a male bee because it’s dumb as the frigging stump it lives in.  It hovers and dive-bombs right at people’s faces.  If it were a female bee, it would sneak up behind me, bite me in the back, then play all innocent and run away.

This isn’t any ordinary bee.  It’s Warrior Bee: a giant bumblebee-like sonofabitch with a hard, chainmail-ish black shell around its body.  It’s the flipping Darth Vader Bee (which, I suppose, is ironically funny since it is attempting to attack me on May the Fourth).  It is also completely immune to the most lethal Death Spray, and whacking the shit out of it just pisses it off.

For the last few years, I have abandoned my patio for the first three or four weeks of spring while Draco MalBee zooms and hovers and dive-bombs and strikes fear into anyone who steps near my door.  Today, though, I’ve had enough.

Today it is 86 degrees outside, and I’ve just left work where the heat has been blasting almost the whole day.  Yup, lots of fun:  Full sun into my room, hot air pouring in the windows from outside, and heat screaming out of two units in my classroom.  Today is like one giant, perpetual, unending, semi-man-made, menopausal hot flash.

Fucking sucks.

All the way home I calm myself with the idea of a cold beverage on my patio.  It isn’t until I attempt to get into my front door that I remember Bee Bastard.  Well, I don’t so much “remember” as I am attacked trying to unlock the deadbolt.  I start chanting, “Motherofgod, motherofgod, motherofgod,” as Bee-hemouth gets right into my face, then I yell at him, “Get away!  Get away, you fucker!”

Determined to enjoy an hour or two on my patio … MY PATIO … I change into shorts and a tank top, mix a beverage, grab some magazines, then choose my weaponry: Super Hornet Spray and a big-ass fly swatter.  Oh, sure, I understand intellectually that these items will be useless in my fight against Insane Bee, but it’s all about that false sense of security.

I am outside less than thirty seconds when the first attack happens.  I shoot the deadly liquid at him, and he flies over the fence for a moment where he stares me down, clearly pissed.  A minute or so later, I can see his shadow (it’s huge) as he sits in space like a miniature helicopter just out of my line of vision.  I wave a magazine at him.  He retreats for a fraction of a second then makes his move.

“Fuck you,” I say nonchalantly, and wave the swatter at him, the mere air movement sending him backward.  “I’m NOT leaving.  Live with it.”

We continue this back-and-forth for ninety minutes, him buzzing around to let me know how absolutely incensed he is that I dare take my rightful spring throne on the patio.  I refuse to yield.  Okay, so I couple of times when he is right in my face and being super-aggressive, I admit I jump up, run away a few feet, and start swearing like a sailor with a lit firecracker under his armpit.  For the most part, though, the bee and I sort of coexist for an hour and a half.

(Notice the re-purposed sippy top)
In the end, he doesn’t win nor does he die.  I actually put a towel down and take a brief nap on the back stoop, which sounds brave in theory except Bumble Butt Bee Boy is right there when I lift my head back up to check on my surroundings.  For the first time in three or four (perhaps even five) years, I don’t give a flying shit what that asshole bee is doing casing my property.  I pay for this damn patio.  It’s MINE, and I intend to enjoy it. 

Bring it, Darth Vader Bee.  I’ve seen the movies; I know how this ends.  Besides, it’s May the Fourth Be With You Day – If I don’t save the patio, I might soon be invaded by Wookie Wasps and Ewok Stink Bugs.  Maybe the next insect will be Jabba the Bee Hutt. 

This ends today, and, if it doesn’t end, we’d damn well better learn how to coexist because the nice weather is here, and I’m not going anywhere.