Thursday, May 14, 2015

BLOWING MY COOL



Sometimes I just need to blow my flipping stack.

I’m driving along with my youngest (who’s an adult) riding shotgun when we come upon an airport limo doing twelve miles an hour and constantly hitting the brakes.  After about thirty seconds of this bullshit, I say to my kid, “Should I honk?”

I seriously expect him to talk me out of this silliness.  Instead, he smiles and says, “Sure!”

So, I honk.

Man, does this piss off the limo driver.  Big time.  He pulls over, waits for me to pass, then slams open his front door, almost hitting my car.

Man, does this piss ME off.  When he immediately swerves back out and rides my bumper, I slam on my brakes.  Fuck you, prick.

We get to a traffic light, a major one, within spitting distance of the police station, with Limo Dick riding my ass.  He pulls so close to me, I might be able to put a piece of paper between the vehicles … maybe.

I turn to my kid and shake my head.  Oh shit.  He knows what’s coming.  Mama opens her door, still dressed in work clothes and jewelry, and stretches one leg out into the street.  Again, I seriously expect him to talk me out of this silliness.  Instead, he smiles. 

Within a millisecond, I am out of the car.  I stand at the tiny division between the two vehicles.  “Back up,” I yell at the limo.  “Back up!”

Suddenly, the limo door opens, and a teeny, scrawny guy jumps out.  He is covered in expensive-looking chains and acts as if he is Macho Man.  “What!  I not close!  There be room!”

Oh. Dude.  I have had a very long week already.  Don’t push me.

I lift my right arm to a ninety degree angle and point my index finger at him.  “Back up,” I repeat.  Then, through clenched teeth, my eyes wild (I can feel them inside my head), I yell, “Back the fuck up!”

He starts jawing at me.  “Fuck you,” he says casually.

Truly?  Fuck ME?  I can feel the top of my head blowing off.  “FUCK YOU.  FUCK YOU.  BACK THE FUCK UP, YOU FUCKER.  BACK … THE … FUCK … UP!!!!!”

At this point, my son opens his door and stands up.  At 6’1”, he is easily a foot taller than Mini Man.  “Who da fuck ah you?” he asks my son.

My son calmly motions for Short Shit to get back into his car.  “Shut up,” my son scoffs at him.  My kid is a former judo player with an impressive resume.  I know enough judo to leave some bruises and maybe even choke Demi-Dick out, if necessary.  If this driver has half a brain, he’ll stay where he is and not engage.  If he has an entire brain, he’ll get back in his luxury taxi and get the hell out of Dodge.

It doesn’t matter what he says.  It doesn’t matter what anyone says.  This prick tried to hit my car with his door and with his vehicle.  My kid is in my car. 

I am out of control.

“GET THE FUCK IN YOUR CAR.  BACK THE FUCK UP.  BACK THE FUCK UP!  BACK THE FUCK UP!!!!!”

At this point the light turns green.  We have traffic watching us from all five corners of this bizarre intersection.  We are the main attraction on the hill stop of Main Street at rush hour. 

A man coming the other way pulls next to us.  His window is up, and he clearly has himself locked into his Mercedes.  “Do you need help?” he mouths through his safety glass.  My luck: My would-be savior is too chicken to really get involved, but I appreciate the gesture.

I start laughing and give him the thumbs-up sign.  “I’m good,” I grin.  My son and I get back in my car and drive away. 

Prick Dude passes us on the left, allowing us to get his company name, car number, and license plate, should we decide to complain to his boss.  My son believes that if we get him fired, we’ll end up paying for him on the Welfare system when he’s out of a job. 

Truth.  I raised remarkably logical children.

I smile at my kid.  “Damn.  That was fun.  I needed that.”

“Me, too,” he smirks.

Just to be sure Limo Loser doesn’t follow us to the store and key my car, we drive around the block.  It ends up taking us longer to get our groceries than if we’d never honked at the asshole in the first place, but that certainly doesn’t make for a blog fodder.  Besides, how often do you get to scream and swear in the middle of a busy intersection and totally get away with it?

Indeed, sometimes to stay cool, I have to blow my cool.  This should hold me over for a week or so – Just letting everyone else know it’s safe to drive around town for a short while.