Saturday, May 16, 2015

ON BEING A SLUG

I'm a slug.

I have a list of things I need to get done: posting student grades, getting to a hairdresser appointment, attending a poetry reading, going to two graduations... In the end, I opt to nap, instead.

I stay up late grading papers, making mistakes that are all in the students' favor because I'm exhausted.  I doze off in the chair while getting my hair done.  I come home from school after a long week and immediately nod off, attempt to get something done around the house, then nod off again, then eat some nachos and nod off again. 

I am so tired that I snooze while sitting in a kitchen chair, the ringing telephone waking me up and scaring the crap out of me: Where am I?  What time is it?  What day is it? 

I stay up to watch the weather report on television, then I nod off in the middle of it and have no flaming idea what it's going to be like for the next few days.  I should drag my sorry excuse for humanity to bed, but, ironically, I am too tired to move and brush my teeth.

If I'm still sitting here in the morning, remind me to wipe the drool off the keyboard before I start typing.  I am a slug.

(P.S. I suppose this means there's no way my house is getting cleaned this weekend.)