Saturday, May 23, 2015

I'M STILL STANDING ... SORT OF



In a continuation from yesterday, I am still sick.  My 101.5 fever of last night breaks somewhere around midnight.  I know this because I wake from sleeping and finally feel warm.  Not hot-flash warm and not sick-warm, but no-chills warm. 

I tentatively feel my forehead. 

Am I well?  I seem to be okay.  Can I stand?  Yup, no vertigo.  Do I have a fever?  I grab the thermometer to find out, and it beeps away at 98.6.

That’s it, I’m going to work!  Yippee!  I open my mouth to speak (yes, I talk to myself, don’t judge me) and … Nothing.  Okay, maybe not a total nothing, but damn close to nothing.

It’s all right, I reason, because it is a half-day for the kiddos (a full day for me, chock full of an afternoon sitting through a two-hour presentation by Kool-Aid Man).  I am handing back papers and letting the students play Apples to Apples today because they worked their butts off for me this week in class and on state testing, and they all managed to get to a great stopping point in the book we are reading.  Since it is a “no homework” weekend (for some, that’s like every day, anyway), there is no way I am starting a new lesson with half-hour-long classes before a long, homework-free weekend.

As soon as I get to work and try to speak to my colleagues, they have two reactions.  The first is, What the hell is wrong with you?; and the second is Stay the hell away from me before a holiday weekend because I have a life and you don’t!  The administration thanks me for coming to work since substitutes are rare creatures, especially before a holiday and doubly when they find out it is a half-day assignment.  Yes, we appreciate you coming in and infecting everyone to save us money sounds good in theory until everyone calls in sick next week. 

The kids, on the other hand, think my loss of voice is hilarious.  At the start of homeroom and every class, someone figures out what’s going on and yells, “Ssshhhh, quiet, everyone!  She’s trying to TALK,” like this is some momentous occasion.  Well, I guess it is.  It’s a holiday for them since I cannot speak very well.  True to their nature, though, each and every class has several students who not only wish me a nice weekend, they say, “I hope you feel better soon.”  Aw, damnit.  It’s so hard to dislike these kids. 

I’m still feeling reasonably decent, so after the students leave, I head down to the teacher lunch.  It’s pizza, and I do love pizza.  Of course, no one wants me to touch anything or breathe anywhere near them, so I ostracize myself like Typhoid Mary.  (Later, I text this to my sister as “Typhoon Mary,” which also seems surprisingly apt.)  One sweet teacher decides to sit near me anyway so we can pass notes to each other during the professional development.  I appreciate her sense of being invincible as we sit through a two-hour blah-blah-blah presentation that is part three of three by a speaker who not only has a horrid speaking pace (mwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, mwaaaahhhhhhhhhh, mwaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh….), he also has a major speech impediment, which is horrifyingly distracting.

Now, hold your horses.  I am not making fun of people with speech impediments.  I knocked my own front teeth out when I was around three, and it took those suckers eight years to fully grow back in (crooked).  I spent long hours with the elementary school speech therapist practicing saying the letter S.  The irony of this is that my speech therapist’s name is Mrs. Sax.  Go ahead – say her name out loud.  How many S-es do you hear? 

Even early on, the universe hates me.

I survive being Typhoid Mary through the meeting, only once laughing out loud at Kool-Aid Man (because he wants us to drink the presentation Kool-Aid, but we all know how that ends) when he says, “Strong weaknesses.” 

“Oxymoron!”  I shout, but, without much of a voice, no one really hears me.  Damnit.  The moment is lost.

I get home earlier than I expect, hoping to catch my youngest son before he leaves for the weekend.  Not that it really matters, anyway, as his last words to me the night before are, “STAY AWAY FROM ME!  YOU’RE NOT GOING TO TRY AND KISS ME, ARE YOU?  GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY!”  I totally feel the love.  Alas, he has left early, most likely to avoid being infected with the plague.  After all, I raised brilliant children.

I have some energy, so I sweep yet again the patio and driveway of the errant maple whirlygigs and multiple pounds of worm poop, sweeping them directly into the yard of the owners of the offending trees.  I try to sit in the sun, but the sun goes behind a cloud, so I go inside.  Then the sun comes out, so I go outside again.  Then the sun goes in, and so do I.  Then it comes out, and so do I.  Then it goes in, and so do I.

This goes on like some Laurel and Hardy routine until I decide to call it a day and sit on the couch.  Next thing I know, it is two hours later.  Apparently, I have been texting people in my sleep, and, when I wake up on the couch, I realize that I have squished both my glasses and my phone.  Lord only knows who and what I texted with my armpit.

By the time my sister texts me hours later, I am awake and semi-alert and able to coherently text her back.  My fever is only at about 99.8, so I’m feeling like this is progress until I hack up a decent piece of lung -- you know, one of those loogies that makes you sick to your stomach because it’s just a huge mound of gelatinous goo.  Thank goodness I’m not actually talking (as if I can) to my sister, or we’d both be totally grossed out.

Either way, there is a wonderful silver lining to this whole illness.  I mentioned it yesterday, and I am pleased to confirm today that I have now gone two entire days without a single hot flash.  Oh, sure, I know this is Mother Nature teasing me, but I count these blessings when I can.  If only, if only, if only.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to self-medicate and hope for the best.  After all, I have an entire three-day weekend to sit home and be ill while everyone else is out having fun.