Tuesday, May 26, 2015

IT'S GONNA BE A SIZZLAH



I wake up this morning, which is the first good thing about today, and I am feeling almost human, which is the second good thing about today.  I decide that today is the day!  Yup, I’ve been watching television; I’ve clicked on the apps; I pressed that cloud picture on my cell phone.  I know what’s coming this week.

(Not my house - just a stolen pic.)
Today is the day I haul the air conditioners up from the basement.

I could wait for my son to get home from his weekend away and say, “Son, since you had a weekend away and I have been close to death warmed over, bring up the damn air conditioners from the basement,” and, of course, he would do it.  But I have been flat on my ass and completely wiped out since last Thursday.  If I don’t do something to prove that I am still able to take care of myself, then I might as well go live in a home.

So, I get myself all geared up.  This means sneakers (in case I drop the units on my feet), leather gloves to grip the sharp sides without killing my hands and fingers, and three beach towels (one for each air conditioner) to slide them across the floors and into place after hauling them up the stairs.  It’s a very effective system, just so you know, and I have perfected it over a number of years.

Once I get each air conditioner to the base of the staircase, I don’t bother with the lift-and-carry.  Too dangerous for me.  My center of gravity is pretty low being a short gal.  Instead, I take my gloved hands, turn each unit onto its back (as it were), and use the sliding sides to lift and go up one riser.  Then lift and go up one riser.  Then lift and go up one riser.  This is how I get them up, and then I casually slide them onto towels, and from there a drag them around by pulling on the edge of the towel. 

You know, much like dragging a body all by myself and deep into the woods.  Uh … Not that I’ve tried that … recently … or anything.

I used to put the a/c units into the windows by myself years ago, but I don’t do that anymore.  This is the one thing that I make someone else help with because I am terrified of dropping the unit out the window before it is properly secured.  This is where my son (or other family member if anyone is around) gets to be my helper. 

Once secure in the windows, out comes the duct tape.

(Not my duct tape, either.)
That’s right, you read that correctly.  Duct tape.

The accordion curtains on either side of each air conditioner have all split at the edges.  Sure, I could replace them, but why?  I mean, the air conditioners work fine, and the replacement parts will certainly be more expensive than duct tape.  Besides, I bought white duct tape this time, so it’ll blend in better than the traditional glaring silver.

This whole process takes about thirty minutes from start to finish – hauling them up, cleaning each filter, installing them in the windows, duct taping the sides, and plugging them in.  Of course, I take many breaks in between each step, so it actually takes hours, but, truthfully, the methodology is down to a thirty minute science.

I’m ready, Weather gods.  I hear tomorrow you’re gonna hit me with a real Boston Sizzlah.  Bring it on!  I have duct tape, and I know how to use it!