Saturday, May 2, 2015

AMATEUR NIGHT AT LACROSSE



I find myself at two different lacrosse fields this evening. 

I know, I know; Lacrosse is over.  Sort of.  Two of my son’s biggest college rivals are playing each other in an elimination play-off game, and it is being played less than two miles from the house. My son’s season may be over, but that won’t prevent us from cheering from the sidelines.  Besides, it’s one of my alma maters versus the college with the volatile coach (The Screamer Who Just Might Give Himself a Brain Hemorrhage).  It’s a chance for me to love the college I have had to hate for the last four years during lacrosse season.

My son and I arrive at the field and decide to stand near the fence by the far goal.  We know several of the parents and at least one referee, and for once in our lacrosse careers, we are trying to lay low.  This plan works well, for a while, anyway.

Until the college students arrive.

Like my experience last week at the Mattatuck Museum, I have proven over and over again that I am a magnet for students.  Sure, there are stands and grassy areas and all kinds of other spots where these young adults can stand, but, of course, they stand elbow-to-elbow with me.

The college kids all hold red Solo cups, which means they’re probably enjoying a cocktail or two.  I am jealous of them until the police officers come over and do two things:  #1 makes them pour out their beverages; and #2 confiscates a backpack full of various bottles of mixable libations.  I’m not jealous anymore; I’m trying to stay clean here.  I’m trying not to become my usual lacrosse banshee self.

A man can be seen on the other side of the field.  This is not just any man; this is one of the visiting team’s fathers.  He is rather rotund, and he is exercising, and by “exercising,” what I mean is that he is pretending to walk in small, measured steps.  When his team scores, he comes to the fence, continues marching in place, and claps.

My son and I both agree that Marching-in-Place Man reminds us of a wind-up toy monkey.  All he lacks are cymbals of his own.

So begins the heckling.  It is not I who starts this heckling ball rolling, either; it is my new-found fence mates.  They begin berating the players with, “Hey, number 35.  Nice shooooooooes.” And “My grandmother plays better than you, and she’s DEAD … God rest her soul.” 

The antics go on for about four more minutes.  Finally, one of them reasons, “Hey, I’m trying to get thrown out!”

“Amateur!” I call toward him.

Oh, sweetie.  You poor, delusional little man.  You are standing with the Master of the Sarcastic Zinger.  Bow to your queen.

After this game at the college ends, which it does with a slim-margin loss for my alma mater, we head over to a high school game (both of us graduated from here).  We are running a little behind schedule because we are freezing now that the sun has disappeared, so we pop home to gather coats, hats, and gloves.

 Once we arrive and get situated in the high school stands, I start checking texts and mail notices.  I cheer a few times, but generally don’t get too terribly excited.  After all, I have no dog in either fight today.  Quite frankly, it is an interesting change to watch a live lacrosse game without my camera attached to my face.  I’m not really sure what to do with myself without my photographic extension.

At the end of this game (another slim-margin, last-minute loss), we hang around to say hello to the coach.

“I didn’t even know you were here,” he says to me.  “You were so quiet.”

“I used it all up at the college game,” I lie.

It’s tough to get older, I suspect.  It seems I’m not as excitable as I was a week ago when my son was still playing college ball.  I don’t know what’s different about me.

Hahahaha.  Yes I do, silly people.

It’s amateur hour on the sidelines.  For once in my life, that doesn’t mean me.