Tuesday, May 19, 2015

MAYBE I JUST DON'T GET IT



I guess I just don’t get modern art. 

A local woman, who is a Brookline-based artist, has created a hanging colored net that has been hoisted above the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston.  The three-dimensional hanging sculpture is located right at Purchase Street and Atlantic Avenue in the Seaport District.  My friend and I drive into the city to check it out, and, while it is ridiculously cool, it is also ridiculously ridiculous.

Sorry, but I don’t get it.

To be honest, I like it more than I liked the works at the Institute of Contemporary Art, a place I visited a year or so ago with the same friend.  I didn’t get the works there, either.  After visiting this giant net, my friend and I joke about how cool it would be if the net were to fall, ensnaring us underneath.  We’d be famous; we’d be in the news, even.

Okay, we’d probably be dead, suffocated and/or strangled by errant knots and wires and rope.  Still, though, that would definitely make the evening news.

Supposedly this aerial masterpiece has a whole bunch of LED lights on it.  We didn’t see any lights anywhere except the pedestrian lights at the intersection. 

Maybe we missed something.  Maybe we don’t have artistic eyes.  Maybe it looks better at night. 

Maybe the emperor has new clothes.