Sunday, May 24, 2015

SAVING THE PLANTS



I am pleased to report that the plant I got from my oldest son and his wife as a Mother’s Day gift is still alive.  I repeat: I have not yet killed the beautiful plant.

As a matter of fact, it is thriving.

Watching the overnight temperatures carefully, I periodically bring the planter inside for the evening, sometimes for most of the day, so I don’t kill the poor baby.  I have a rather hardy palm plant that I have left out for a week or two because I only paid $10 for it, so it’s no harm nor foul whatever its fate.

(two weeks ago)
Until last night.  The overnight temperature is predicted to hit into the 30’s here.  My poor babies.  I decide to haul them both in, even though the chunky palm is slightly hefty.  I could leave on the sneakers I wore to work, but I’ve already changed into my flip-flops.  What the heck.  I only have to deal with two planters. 

What could possibly go wrong?

I should probably clarify right here that I have known myself for decades.  I am notorious for injuries of idiocy, like smacking the pavement while on roller skates and tied behind a bike, or cutting my foot on a metal disk hidden in the sand at Craigville beach, or knocking out my own front teeth when pretending to be a Degas ballerina, or cutting a toe wide open and breaking a tiny bone in it when an ice cube pops up out of the tray and lands just right (or wrong).

This is me we are talking about.  Of course something is going to go wrong.

The flowers, which sit on the top step of the back stoop, make it inside without a hitch.  The palm plant, stuffed on the patio next to the front stoop, gives me slightly more trouble.  I must lift the entire container up about two feet to the landing.  I’m a reasonably strong gal, except I’ve been sick and am feeling slightly peckish, so I overcompensate.  I pull the planter toward my flip-flop unprotected feet rather than deadlift.

Immediately I feel my big toenail snap back.  Crap.  I think my little palm tree just ruined my ability to wear sandals next week when it’s in the 80’s (and the plants can just stay outside).  Not ready to give up, I hoist the planter to the landing, hop up behind it, and toss that sucker so hard through the front door that dirt starts flying.

Grabbing my glasses so I can inspect the extent of the damage, I see a giant chunk of nail hanging off my toe, but, surprisingly, no blood.  I take out the toenail clippers and decide to snap that sucker off right now since it already hurts.  What’s a few more seconds of agony between body parts, right?  The toenail clippers can only do so much, and I need to grab the smaller set of fingernail clippers to dig around the inside edge of the nail and get the broken part off that is about a centimeter down my digit.

As if that’s not gross enough, I look at the giant chunk of nail, still disbelieving that I am not shooting venous blood everywhere.  Even grosser, I pick it up and give it the full scientific CSI treatment.  How could a chunk of nail this size peel off without any lasting damage?

All of a sudden the words spoken in the classroom by my co-teacher come back to me.  “Wow,” she had said the other day, “I’ve never seen your toenails painted before.”

(today) 
The missing piece of toenail is actually less than half real nail, and the rest is a loose layer or two of top nail along with a couple of coats of Sally Hansen Chrome nail polish, which isn’t really as chrome as the ads picture it to be, but it’s still shiny.

The toe doesn’t hurt me at all after that, although it feels funky and looks even funkier, but I will tell you this much: The only planter making the out-in trek today is the flower pot.  That palm plant is staying right where it is by the front door until tomorrow when it’s 80 degrees outside and will remain well-above freezing for the rest of the week.  At this point, I need every toenail I have left.