Thursday, May 28, 2015

GRILLING - DAY ONE



Today when I leave work, it is breezy but hot, one of the hottest days we’ve had yet this spring.  The humidity isn’t too terrible, so I make a decision; I’m stopping by the grocery store to get burgers and rolls.  It’s grill time!

I don’t even know if my son is home or not, but I decide not to tip him off about my dinner idea.  It has been a week since I last made dinner, a lasagna with meat sauce.  It was the last evening before the plague hit me full force.  My appetite finally returned last night, so we ordered pizza (extra cheese), and I gorged myself until I thought my stomach would explode.

Today, though, for some reason, I have been smelling burgers on the grill in my daydreams.  My mind keeps wandering to red meat, possibly because my super-thrilling lunch consists of applesauce, pumpkin bread, and various bad-for-me snacks.  Hey, I felt icky when I packed it this morning, so I thought I’d do my stomach a favor.

For some stupid reason, the traffic running through town is stubborn, gridlocked, annoying.  I finally see the parking lot entrance … see it … three cars ahead of me … just cannot make it … yet.  I damn near jump the curb trying to pull into the lot and get a space.  By the time I enter the store, I want to scream, “Get out of the way!  I need hamburgers, and I need them NOW!” 

Of course the “Twelve items or fewer” aisle is mobbed, but I have forgotten my store discount card, so I cannot go through the self-checkout without it.  The sacker packs my bags a little funky (four large Gatorades in one thin bag, the fifth thrown on top of the hamburgers), but I am finally on my way home.

As soon as I arrive, I call up the stairs and tell my son it’s barbecue time.  We fire that badass grill up, and we grill right then and there in the middle of the afternoon.  The propane, coincidentally enough, runs out just as we finish grilling.  We take this as a sign of a higher power, perhaps the Great Big Burgermeister in the Sky.  (By the way, when I worked at Burger King years ago, our regional manager’s name really and truly was Mr. Burgermeister.  Even I can’t make up that kind of shit.)
 
Grilling out (homestyle, not tailgate), day #1, officially in the books, and on a work night, too.  Had I not been plague-riddled, this would’ve happened sooner, and once I replace the propane tank, we’ll do it all again, and again, and again.