Monday, May 4, 2015

RECONNAISSANCE MISSION



A friend texts me today.  She lives about seven states away from me, and she needs a favor.  It’s a secret spy mission, the kind that is right up my alley, and I jump on the request without even thinking it through.  After all, I have another pal, J, who is as experienced in spy missions like this as am I.  To us, this is just another joy ride in the car.

The first time my pal J and I went on a reconnaissance mission like this years ago, we took all kinds of precautions, like wearing disguises.  Okay, helmets.  One of us wore a helmet (J).  A bicycle helmet.  A kid’s bicycle helmet.  Since then we’ve upgraded to dark sunglasses, hats, and changing up cars. 

Today, though, our prey has no idea who we are.  We are going into a part of a nearby town where being noticed is a crapshoot.  It’s a very congested neighborhood, but it’s also an area where strangers casing a parking lot might be noticed and remembered.  I decide to take my car because it’s sporty (like many in this neighborhood), it hasn’t been washed in a while (like many in this neighborhood), and it has some bird crap on it (like many in this neighborhood). 

Honestly, we don’t really hold much hope that our recon mission will pay off on day #1, trip #1.  We are searching for a car, the make, model, and year of which is uncertain.  We have a vague idea, and we are reasonably certain of the address where it is supposed to be located.  Our objective is to find the car, confirm its location, and see if it appears to have been recently driven (ie: no pollen on its windshield).

I should go buy a lottery ticket, because not only do we find the address, but we also find the vehicle exactly where it is supposed to be.  Normally this would be where the disguises and discretion come in.  Unfortunately, we throw caution to the wind and start taking pictures with my phone.  We get really close.  We park almost next to the car. 

I’m thinking this may not be my brightest idea yet.  J says she’s getting out of my car to take pictures of the target vehicle.  I’m thinking this is even less of a bright idea.  I mean, seriously.  I don’t know who might own a gun in this neighborhood, and someone might mistake us for repo women.  Bang.

In the end, we accomplish our mission easily … almost too easily.  After all, we don’t even need helmets this time.