Monday, May 11, 2015

MOTHER'S WEEKEND



Another Mother’s Day is in the books.  This year Mother’s Day goes on for two days with gifts, cards, and activities.  The best part is that Mother’s Day is one of these quasi-holidays that somebody just made up.

Score.

My kids are so generous to me that I have to make some promises back to them:

1.  I promise not to kill (intentionally) the New Guinea impatiens and lavender plant.  I’ve already checked on the Internet to make sure the planter gets the right place on the patio for the optimal sun/shade experience.

2.  I dig through the junk drawer to find a packet of plant food made for cut flowers.  I promise to keep those red roses alive as long as I possibly can because they look and smell so good.

3.  I promise to improve my mini-golf game so as not to lose (if even by one point) the next time we head out onto the course.

I don’t give a rat’s patootie if this really is a holiday from the Land of Make-Believe or not.  My kids and I believe, and that’s all that matters on Mother’s Day.  Besides, I forget my glasses in the car and cannot keep score in mini golf – My kids could be ripping me off blind, and I won’t be able to tell.

I don’t care.

It’s Mother’s Day.  It has been a Mother’s Weekend because we like to extend celebrations.  May you all be ever-so lucky.