Monday, March 2, 2015

WAITING IT OUT



 Finally get the son’s car out of the driveway after waiting out the snow for more than a month.  Oh, sure, the car has gone to the church parking lot a few hundred feet away during one of the first major snowstorms in January so I could shovel, and it has moved back and forth in the reasonably short driveway.  But it doesn’t hit the road until today.

Why?

Because I couldn’t see over the snowbanks until today.  Truth is, I still can’t really see over the snowbanks, but it seems a disservice to the vehicle to let it warm up nearly every day just to sit by itself.  So, today, after some “warm days” (it has hit 24 degrees three days in a row) and some minor melting, I take the Lancer out for a drive.

I don’t want to go too far, and I want to stick as closely as I can to traffic lights just in case, but I also know this poor car probably needs a good, long drive after the snow and frigid temps we’ve had.  I have a few errands to run – CVS and the post office – so the Lancer and I get that boring stuff out of the way first. 

Just as I pull back to out to the main road, flurries start, not big giant snowflakes flurries, but little splotches of tiny flakes on the windshield.  Here we go again, I lament.  At the risk of the car being snowed in yet again, I drive a few miles to the highway and open the car up for a few more miles before exiting at a ramp with a traffic light (just in case of high snowbanks). 

By the time I reach the center of town again, the flurries have stopped.  I circle around by the churches and cemeteries so I can check out the rest of the roof of my house, the part I can’t see from the patio, the part that lost a huge amount of snow and ice yesterday.  I can see that all but the icicles along the edges have cleared and the shingles are all intact.

As I back the kid’s car into its spot, the flurries start again.  When the storm gets here in earnest, it is supposed to leave several inches of snow in its wake (a manageable amount after what we’ve dealt with).  It will probably be just enough to create snowbanks slightly too high to take the Lancer out again for a while.  It’s okay, though; spring is three weeks away.  I can wait it out.