Friday, March 6, 2015

THE DAY MY LUNCH TOTE PEES ON ME



I get exactly what I deserve for buying a cheap-ass lunch tote: damp butt.

For some reason (exhaustion, probably) I forget to put the cold packs for my lunch back into the freezer the night before.  No biggie.  I always have extra ice ready, so I grab out one of the semi-filled, zip-top baggies with ice in it, toss the bag of ice into the bottom of my lunch tote, throw in my sandwich, and go.

I don’t always go to the teachers’ room for lunch mainly because it’s too damn far to walk in the less-than-eighteen minutes I have to eat, but also because that part of the school is ridiculously cold.  Today, though, I decide to eat with the adults, so I grab my lunch tote and make the arduous trek.

Everything is going fine in the teacher’s room until I notice that my left arm, resting on the table and protected by a bulky sweater, is sopping wet.  I pick up my lunch bag, and there is a huge puddle under it.  Realizing the ice is melting, I grab the tote and bag of ice out and carry it to the sink, leaving a trail of water behind me.  I shake out any leftover water from my lunch tote just to be sure.

I think this solves the problem as I mop up the mess with the crappy brown paper towel roll.  But I am wrong.

Apparently the water is all inside the bag, somewhere between the inner lining and the outer plastic.  I pick the tote up again, and the bag pees water all over the place.  Back to the wall dispenser I go, grabbing more and more and more paper towels.  I mop, mop, mop up the mess.  Finally satisfied, I try to dry my still-wet arm with the last of the wadded-up paper towels.  Maybe, just maybe I can finish my sandwich in the few minutes I have left before my next class starts.

I sit down in the comfy cloth chair and … promptly stand up as fast as I can.  In my rush to get the leaking tote to the sink, the bag peed all over my chair, as well.  Luckily I am wearing dark brown pants, but I know I have a damp butt spot on the left ass cheek.  I also come to the realization that my lunch tote must’ve leaked all over as I walked the long hallways and ramps and stairs to get to the teachers’ room in the first place.  I’m surprised no one said anything.  I hope no one slipped in the trail.

The tote is still sopping wet, even though I’ve emptied it, wrung it out, and blotted it with more paper towels.  I shove the tote into the gallon-sized baggie that had housed the ice (yes, the leaky bag), mummify it by wrapping wads of brown paper towel around it, and drop it on the floor by my desk back in the classroom.

The next time I forget to re-freeze the cooler packets for my lunch, I’m packing PB&J and some crackers directly into my backpack.