Monday, March 30, 2015

HTFAISTKTS



Today is a beautiful yet breezy day.  I should know.  I open the door exactly once to check it out.  Other than that, I have been working at my desk and at the kitchen table all day.  Sometimes life just rolls that way.  Hopefully, if I don’t crash later on the way to or from trivia, I will live to see another beautiful day.

Today is spent uploading pictures from my son’s lacrosse game yesterday, heretofore to be known as Snow Fest.  The pictures are grainy because the snowflakes were coming down fast and furiously, and they were flakes the size of cinema popcorn kernels. 

Then, I have to organize all of the classwork I brought home to see who owes me what out of the six assignments I have still to correct.  I even manage to do some correcting, but, with almost a hundred students and several essay assignments, I should probably just put my head through a brick wall right now.

I have a mini panic attack when I realize that I didn’t do the laundry today, and I really must because I have to wear something clean to school tomorrow.  While the laundry is in, I probably ought to do some time on the treadmill since I can’t leave the house while the laundry is going lest I accidentally burn down the house with my dryer or something.

The bulk of the day, though, is completely ruined by PARCC testing prep.  In case anyone lives under a rock, PARCC is the new MCAS, which was the new Iowa test here in the state of Massachusetts.  It has taken me no less than four hours to go through the manual.  I discover that the directions to the two math tests are going to take about twenty minutes just to read out loud to the students, and there’s no way anyone is going to remember anything I say.  I will become Charlie Brown’s teacher … mwaaaah mwaaaahaaaaaaa…

The best part of the manual comes when it says, “Say to the students, ‘Do you have any questions? If so, answer their questions.’”

Dude.  I have questions!  I don’t understand a frigging word of this manual except “pass the booklets out … collect the booklets.”  The rest of it just sounds like horseshit.  Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying it is horseshit; just that it sounds like horseshit.

So, being the smartass that I am, I highlight the part about student questions.  I write in highlighter, “Move along” because that’s what I intend to do.  Then, in pencil, because I suspect someone will be collecting these manuals eventually, and since my name is stickered on to the front of it, I write: HTFAISTKTS

It’s code.  It’s a very special secret code that anyone who truly knows me will be able to figure out.  It’s special PARCC language that only we professionals will get.  It’s not some universal thing like SOS or HOMES or PEMDAS or ROYGBIV.  This is edu-ma-cated ciphering, and I’m going to crack the code for anyone who hasn’t cracked it already.

You see, when students ask me questions about PARCC, I have about as much information as they do, so my stock answer to them will be, “Gee, let me check on that and get back to ya later.”  In reality, though, my true professional answer is: “How The Fuck Am I Supposed To Know This Shit?”

So, now that I have completely obliterated the sunny part of my Sunday, and since Monday is biting me in the ass as I type, I am going to go to trivia and attempt to make my brain do something other than PARCC prep.  After all, the truth hurts.  HTFAISTKTS, indeed.